CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1038440

Date first listed: 12-Mar-1964

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038440 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Oct-2018 at 15:42:54.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: East Staffordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Wychnor

National Grid Reference: SK 17688 16074

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WYCHNOR C.P. - SK 11 NE 8/110 Church of St Leonard 12.3.64 - II*

Parish church. Mainly C14 with parts C12 and C17. Red sandstone, squared coursed and dressed; tiled roofs; verge parapets. Tower, nave, chancel and south aisle; Decorated. Tower: to south-west; two-thirds rebuilt in brickwork, some diapered, probably C17. Of 3 stages, the lowest stage large and part stone, part brick; thin diagonal buttresses of 3 stages; stone strings between stages and stone-dressed crenellated parapet; gargoyles to the centre of each face; labelled square-headed C17 two-light bell chamber openings; west window similar but C14 and with trefoil- headed lights. Nave: of 2 bays divided by 3-stage buttresses,(restored and of considerable width) to east bay; C14 pointed door to north-west bay has quatrefoil fleurons in coved intrados; west gable has 2-light gallery window over 3-light west window with curvilinear tracery and square heads. Chancel: of one bay, continuous with nave (although there is a slight break in the south roof pitch only); 3-stage buttresses against gable; 4-light window with segmental head relieving arch trefoil-headed lights and criss-cross tracery to both north and south sides; an unusual design, very similar to that in the south aisle at St Mary's, Rolleston (q.v.); 4-light, Y-tracery East window. South aisle: running into tower to west. 2 bays; 2-light square-headed trefoil-light windows; 3-light East window with curvilinear tracery. Interior: 3-bay arcade; pointed arches on 4 clustered columns; pointed chancel arch; nave roof with tie, collar, and elbowed arch braces to queen posts; chancel barrel vaulted. Pulpit: C19, octagonal. Font: C15-style stone octagonal, low- relief shields on faces. Trefoil-headed niche in south aisle. Monuments: several marble plaques to the Levett family to south aisle; John Levett, died 1853, scrolled and on grounds. The church is prominently situated in a small group of houses on the raised south bank of the River Trent. B.o.E.

Listing NGR: SK1768816074

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 273689

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Shropshire, (1958)

End of official listing