Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1038565

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1963

Statutory Address: SCARISBRICK HALL AT 392 127


Ordnance survey map of SCARISBRICK HALL AT 392 127
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038565 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 01:30:24.


Statutory Address: SCARISBRICK HALL AT 392 127

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Lancashire

District: West Lancashire (District Authority)

Parish: Scarisbrick

National Grid Reference: SD 39171 12594


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SD 31 SE 8/16 26.4.1963

SCARISBRICK Scarisbrick Hall at


Country house, now school. Successive remodelling, rebuilding and enlargement of C16 seat of the Scarisbrick family, begun in 1814, probably by John Slater (of Liverpool) and Thomas Rickman, but mainly 1836-1845 by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin for Thomas Scarisbrick, and 1860s and 1870s for Anne Scarisbrick. Sandstone, with stone slate roofs. Hall facing south-east, with east and west crosswings, east tower, kitchens (etc), L-shaped service wing to the rear. All in Gothic style: the west wing of 1814 in early Gothic, the hall and other parts of the main range of 1836-45 in fully developed C15 Gothic revival; the east wing and very high tower in exuberantly French or Flemish C15 style, the integral ornamentation of these parts becoming more flamboyant and fanciful in the progression from east to west. The centre of the composition is Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin's 2-storey open-hall, with 2-storey oriels, steeply pitched roof with 3-stage lantern on the ridge, but it is dominated by Edward Welby Pugin's east wing with an octagonal angle turret surmounted by a cluster of large fluttering birds, and by the tower of extravagant height finished with corner pinnacles and an attenuated rectangular spire. The kitchen attached at the east end, by Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin, is likewise in C15 Gothic style, octagonal, with steeply-pitched roof and square lantern. The interior is of equal interest, containing much elaborate carved oak, etc, some of it of Flemish origin collected by Thomas Scarisbrick. For extended description see Pevsner North Lancashire pp.218-223.

Listing NGR: SD3917112594


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 357718

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: North Lancashire, (1969), 218-223
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 25 Lancashire,

End of official listing