HAMSTALL HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1038777

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1953

Statutory Address: HAMSTALL HALL, BLITHBURY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HAMSTALL HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038777 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 14-Nov-2018 at 22:37:34.

Location

Statutory Address: HAMSTALL HALL, BLITHBURY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Hamstall Ridware

National Grid Reference: SK 10507 19354

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HAMSTALL RIDWARE C.P. BLITHBURY ROAD (north- SK 1019-1119 east side)

12/29 Hamstall Hall 9.3.53

GV II*

Mansion remains. C15 core with extensive alterations of the late C16 and later. Red brick of at least three periods suggesting gradual replacement of the earlier timber framing; plain tile roof, massive brick ridge stack. By the end of the C18 Hamstall Hall comprised an essentially late C16 complex of buildings concentrated in the south corner of a large rectangular courtyard aligned north-west/south-east. The main approach was by way of a gatehouse (q.v.) in the centre of the north-west wall. A C15 tower (q.v.) stood at the south-east corner and was formerly linked to the main house. The existing remains consist of an L-shaped range which occupies the south-east half of the south- west side of the courtyard, a short wing at it's south-east corner links it with an elaborate porch. South-west front. 2 storeys and attic with C16 brickwork to ground storey and C18 brickwork to second storey. 8 roof bays. Irregular fenestration of C18/C19 casements. Blocked C16 doorway to the left with Tudor arch and sunken spandrels. Boarded door to left of centre. Large gabled wing to the right with stone quoins as high as the off-set second storey, and C19 brick gable. Set-back to the left of the wing is a smaller C18 gabled projection with door to the right-hand side and a small lean-to extension to the left. To the rear of the building are 4 blocked C16 doorways with Tudor arches, one has panelled spandrels. South-east front. South- west wing to the left with C19 glazed door and porch, flanked on the right hand side by a brick and stone buttress; 2 jambs of a blocked first floor window directly above. The wing has 2 phases of early brickwork in English bond with a toothed eaves band. Attached to the right is the gable end of the main range with ground storey in English bond of the same build as the wing, and C18 brickwork above; 2 single-light windows with chamfered stone surrounds, to the ground storey, 2 casements at first floor level and one at attic level. A shaft, single-storey wing, formerly the brewhouse continues the ground storey phase of brickwork to the right and is terminated by the Porch. This is a late C16 brick building with ashlar quoins and dressings and coped gable on shaped kneelers. 2 storeys and attic with attic cornice. Central portico with Tuscan columns, supporting a balcony with strapwork balustrade. First floor doorway and flanking windows all with keyed semi-circular arches springing from imposts. In the gable a strapwork embellished oval oculus. 2-storey lean-to bay to the left of the same build with 4-light chamfer mullioned windows in rebated surrounds, the first floor window is blocked. Ground and first floor cross windows to the right hand return with semi-circular heads and roll and fillet moulded keystones, possibly re-used. Interior. The porch has a stone fireplace with 4-centred head, corbelled lintel and moulded surround. The kitchen is at the north-west end of the main range. In the south-west wall is a massive C16 stone fireplace with shouldered arch and chamfered surround. Network of massive chamfered and stopped ceiling beams with chamfered joists laid flat. Opposed entrances (now blocked) at the north-west end of the room and some evidence that the passage was screened off from the kitchen. Also a blocked doorway in the south-east corner of the room. The bay next to the kitchen is occupied by a chimney stack, a small pantry and a rear entrance lobby. Beyond this is a room with C17 oak panelling. Between this room and the south-west wing is a former through-passage with exposed timber framing. The passage gives access to a late C17 staircase with turned balusters and panelled dado and to 2 rooms within the south-west wing. The front room is completely oak panelled and contains a wall cupboard with semi-circular arch and raised key; ovolo-moulded ceiling beam. The rear room retains a C16 stone fireplace with chamfered Tudor arch on corbels. First floor. Exposed close-studded wall framing in the north-west end wall probably C15 incorporating a later window with ogee-moulded mullions. C17 oak wall panelling. The adjoining room to the south-east has C17 oak wall panelling, a Tudor arch fireplace and a smaller chamber ensuite, also completely oak panelled with a carved frieze of dragons. More panelling in the next room to the south-east including a cupboard door with part of a late medieval painting on the back. Hamstall Hall was the home of the Fitzherberts from the early C16 and much of the C16 building work was probably carried out for Thomas Fitzherbert The Porch is scheduled as an Ancient Monument. B.o.E. p. 140; Stebbing Shaw, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire, vol. 1 (1798) p. 157. I.M. Ferris, 'A Survey of Hamstall Hall, Staffordshire' South Staffordshire Archaeolo- gical and Historical Society Transactions vol. XXVI (1984-5) pp. 44-75.

Listing NGR: SK1050219366

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272875

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 140
Shaw, S, The History and Antiquities of Staffordshire, (1798), 157
'South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions' in South Staffordshire Archaeological and Historical Society Transactions, , Vol. 26, (1984), 44-75

End of official listing