CHURCH OF ST LEONARD

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038802

Date first listed: 27-Feb-1964

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038802 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2018 at 15:00:42.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST LEONARD, MAIN ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Wigginton and Hopwas

National Grid Reference: SK 20892 06796

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 20 NW WIGGINTON C.P. MAIN ROAD (West side)

5/82 Church of St. Leonard 27.2.64

- II

Parish church. 1777; north aisle of 1830, and chancel and vestry of 1861-2 by Nicholas Joyce of Burton. Red brick nave and aisle on sand- stone plinth, random rubble chancel; slate roofs with coped verges. 3-bay nave with north aisle and western bell turret, 2-bay chancel with clasping buttresses; L-shaped north-east vestry. Nave and aisle: tall small-pane windows with semi-circular arches springing from imposts. The north aisle has a circular west window with moulded stone surround and a west door with moulded stone surround and cyma recta moulded cornice hood. The nave has a C19 gabled western porch with pointed doorway, flanked by 2 circular windows with moulded stone frames; Dio- cletian window above the porch; bell turret with hipped roof and circular oculus to each side. Chancel: 2 south windows, the western one has 2 lights with plate tracery, the eastern one has a single light; sill string continued as a hood mould over a central pointed door; pointed 3-light east window with Geometric tracery and hood mould with foliated stops. Vestry: pointed 2-light windows with plate tracery to north and east. Interior: 2 massive Tuscan columns supporting the west turret; 2 cast iron columns between nave and aisle; north gallery also supported on cast iron columns; pointed and chamfered chancel arch with an inner chamfered order springing from short corbelled half-columns with stiff leaf decoration. The nave has a plain plaster ceiling, the chancel has an arch braced collar roof. Fittings: mid to late C19 stone font with octagonal base, ribbed and banded decoration, wooden font cover of circa 1938; full set of C20 pews; wooden Gothic style pulpit; brass altar rail with decorative brackets; wainscotting in sanctuary of circa 1935. Stained glass: east window of 1893 showing the nativity, baptism and crucifixion of Jesus; south-west window of 1897 depicting Saints Luke and John; small south-east window, Mary and Jesus. B.o.E. p. 310.

Listing NGR: SK2089206796

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272836

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 310

End of official listing