CHURCH OF ST ANDREW
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038808.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:56:30.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH STREET
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Lichfield (District Authority)
- Clifton Campville
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 25290 10784
SK 2510; 11/2
CLIFTON CAMPVILLE C.P., CHURCH STREET
Church of St Andrew
Parish church. Early C13 core of nave and chancel; transepts added towards the end of the C13 to form a cruciform plan; remodelling of the period circa 1300 to circa 1340 included the addition of the west tower, south aisle and chapel and the extension of the chancel. Partly restored in the mid-C19, repairs to roof and spire were being undertaken at time of resurvey (November 1985). The C13 masonry is coursed and roughly squared stone, the C14 masonry is large dressed blocks of ashlar quality with occasional narrow 'closers'; plain tile roof. West tower with semi-octagonal stair turret to the south; 3-bay nave with south aisle incorporating the remains of the south transept and extending a further two bays to the east as a chapel; north and south porches; north transept; 4-bay chancel.
Tower: early C14. Three stages, moulded plinth, gabled diagonal buttresses, each with two gabled off-sets, recessed stone spire with flying buttresses, rising from each corner of the tower. The first stage has large pointed windows with sloping sills, roll- and fillet-moulded jambs, and roll-moulded mullions. The north and south windows each have three trefoil headed lights and cusped intersecting tracery; the 4-light west window has C19 Decorated style tracery. The south and west windows have scroll-moulded dripstones terminating in heads. Trefoil headed loops to the second stage. Bell chamber openings of two ogee-headed lights with a single reticulation over. The spire has two tiers of lucarnes, it was damaged during a recent gale and is now truncated. Nave: north wall and remains of south wall mainly C13, eaves level raised and west wall rebuilt early C14. The north wall has two pointed windows of circa 1300, both with late Geometric tracery and wave-moulded and hollow-chamfered jambs; C13 south door, pointed and double-chamfered, the moulded capitals of former nook shafts survive to each side; gabled mid-C19 stone porch. South aisle and chapel: early C14, incorporating the C13 remains of the former south transept. The C14 work was undertaken in three distinct phases, comprising respectively, the two western bays, the three eastern bays, and the remodelling of the former transept which is situated between these two parts. Each bay has windows of similar character to those on the north side of the nave. The two westernmost windows have sunk chamfer and quarter-round and fillet mouldings, the three easternmost windows have a wave moulding and two quarter-round and fillet mouldings, whereas the window to the former transept bay has hollow chamfer and wave mouldings. The windows have moulded sill strings, the two westernmost share a common string, as do the three easternmost, but at a lower level, the window to the former transept bay has its own string at a higher level. Narrow buttresses at the bay divisions, each with one off-set, moulded plinth continued around the buttresses except for those flanking the former transept bay. There is a common former parapet string of two phases, the part over the two westernmost windows is of a different character. Later parapet string of consistent character above, dating to the raising of the eaves level, probably in the C15. Pointed west window with cusped intersecting tracery, restored in the C19, wave-moulded jambs; pointed east window of five lights with intersecting tracery, restored in the C19; half-roll and fillet and wave-moulded jambs. Gabled south porch butts against the wall of the aisle. C14. Pointed and chamfered doorway, boarded up at time of resurvey; moulded plinth continuing that of the south aisle, stone slate roof, one rectangular window to the east with chamfered surround. Chancel: early C13; the east bay was added circa 1340. Pointed 5-light east window with reticulated tracery, sunk chamfer and wave-moulded surround; contemporary north and south windows to the east bay with square heads and ogee headed lights flowing into short supermullions; central pointed lobe trefoil and flanking mouchettes. On the north side the second bay from the east has a C13 lancet and a blocked doorway, the third bay from the east retains the west jamb of a lancet. The two westernmost bays have large C15 windows with trefoil-headed lights. Three north buttresses, two of them pilaster-type, diagonal buttresses to the east end. North Transept: late C13. Angle buttresses, stair projection to the south-east corner lit by rectangular loops. Pointed windows to ground floor north and west of five cusped lancet lights, paired and transomed lancets to first floor with plate traceried quatrefoil in the spandrel. Single-light trefoil-headed window to first floor east. Inserted west door dated 1911.
INTERIOR: C13 fabric noticeable on north wall of nave and chancel, above the south arcade and in the former south wall of the south transept, now part of the nave aisle. High segmental pointed tower arch of circa 1300; two continuous quarter-round moulded orders and a third inner order beginning at the springing level of the arch, this is a squat roll and broad fillet moulding, hoodmould with block stops. Tower vault supported on eight roll and fillet moulded ribs with central circle for the bell ropes; the diagonal spring from imposts carved as heads. The tower windows have sloping sills and continuous roll and fillet moulded jambs and rere-arches. Early C14 nave arcade; pointed arches, each with two wave-moulded orders, hoodmoulds springing from carved heads; quatrefoil piers with fillets projecting between the lobes; heavy moulded bases, the diagonals of the moulded octagonal capitals are longer than the other sides. C14 nave roof; bracketed tie beam and arch-braced collar with king post above the collar; tie beam brackets are supported on wooden corbels; arch braces and struts from king post to principals are cusped. Elaborately moulded recess in the south aisle with semicircular arch; circa 1300. It contains an early C14 wall painting depicting Christ seated on a throne and Mary seated and crowned, attendant figure of a knight wearing chain armour with ailettes, and a lady with caul head dress. Low-pitch C15 aisle roof with bracketed tie beams, short stubby king posts and trefoil headed arcading. Tall, segmental pointed north transept arch of two chamfered orders, the outer is continuous, the inner springs from moulded corbels with carved heads beneath. The ground floor of the north transept has a quadripartite vault with chamfered ribs. A room on the first floor was provided with a garderobe. Pointed chancel arch with an outer chamfered order and 2 inner orders of engaged columns with moulded bases and capitals. The early C14 arcade between chancel and south chapel has quatrefoil columns, each lobe comprising a distinct engaged shaft with fillet and moulded capital on a common moulded base; pointed arches with moulding including two quarter-roll and fillets. Piscina and sedilia of circa 1340. C19 chancel roof with arch braced collars and cusped V-struts above the collar, two pairs of purlins, ridge piece, and paired cusped wind braces. Piscina in south chapel with trefoiled head and quarter round moulding. South chapel roof of similar construction and date to that of the nave aisle, but the tie beams are moulded and have curved-bosses. Fittings: plain octagonal stone font with tapering pedestal, probably C18. C15 oak rood screen with Perpendicular tracery and a frieze of carved foliage; the doors are in a later style and are inscribed "MASTER GILBERT/PARSON OF CLIFTON/IN THE YEARE OF OUR LORD 1684". C14 south chapel screens to west and north; the dado has punched quatrefoils, open arcade above with banded colonettes; two pairs of doors; C17 continuation in a similar style. Early C14 stalls and misericords; oak dug-out chest in the south chapel, probably C13.
Monuments: south chapel: Sir John Vernon, died 1545, and wife; alabaster chest with two recumbent figures, Sir John's feet rest on a lion, cusped arcade to the sides incorporating figures of angels and priests. Chancel: architectural marble monuments to Sir Charles Pye, died 1721, and to Sir Richard Pye, died 1724 and Sir Robert Pye, died 1784. Both monuments made in 1737 by J. M. Rysbrack. Nave: Charles S. Watkins, died 1813, by Richard Westmacott; tablet depicting a kneeling woman. South aisle: Rev. John Watkins, died 1833, by William Behnes.
Listing NGR: SK2529310782
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 104-105
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing