ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1038810

Date first listed: 29-Oct-1987

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST JAMES

Map

Ordnance survey map of ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038810 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 06:34:38.

Location

Statutory Address: ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL AND ST JAMES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: Lichfield (District Authority)

Parish: Clifton Campville

National Grid Reference: SK 23635 10811

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 21 SW CLIFTON CAMPVILLE C.P. HAUNTON

2/6 R.C. Church of St. Michael and St. James

GV II

R.C. church. Mainly 1901-2 by Edmund Kirby, chancel of 1885. Ashlar; plain tile roof with crested ridge tiles. Cruciform, 3-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel, single-bay transepts. Nave: to the west a group of 3 graded lancets, below each is a trefoil headed window, pilaster buttresses flank each window; north and south windows of 3 trefoil headed lights. Gabled north porch with king-post roof and diagonal braces; inside double half glazed doors in a wooden screen lead to a segmental pointed doorway with 2 massive half-roll orders. Transepts: east and west windows similar to those of the nave, transomed north window; square headed south door with roll moulded surround. Chancel: 3 lancets to the east under a common hood mould; 3-light south window, 2-light and single-light north windows, all have trefoiled heads. Interior: pointed chancel arch flanked by 2 pointed niches containing images of Christ and of Mary and Child; ribbed segmental arch to north transept; scissor braced roof trusses. Fittings: font in a Romanesque style rectangular basin with blind arcading containing mythical creatures stands on 4 slim columns with cable moulding. Octagonal wooden pulpit with panelled and traceried sides. Stained glass: all nave windows, east window and all the north transept windows have early C20 glass. B.O.E. p.148; Kelly's Directory of Staffordshire (1904) p.131.

Listing NGR: SK2363510811

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 272757

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 148
'Kellys Directory' in Staffordshire, (1904), 131

End of official listing