WHITTINGTON OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1038870
Date first listed:
09-Mar-1953
Statutory Address:
WHITTINGTON OLD HALL, FISHERWICK ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WHITTINGTON OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038870 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Jul-2019 at 00:34:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
WHITTINGTON OLD HALL, FISHERWICK ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Staffordshire
District:
Lichfield (District Authority)
Parish:
Whittington
National Grid Reference:
SK 16229 08235

Details

SK 1608 WHITTINGTON C.P. FISHERWICK ROAD (North side)

11/107 Whittington Old Hall 9.3.53 GV 11*

Large house. C17, possibly the remodelling of a late medieval house. extended and restored in 1891 by Matthew Holding of Northampton. Red brick (English bond) with sandstone quoins and dressings; plain tile roof with raised verges; brick stacks with star-shaped shafts. Roughly L-shaped, principal range aligned east-west facing south with north-west wing aligned north-south, C19 additions include a northern extension to the north-west wing, a square tower within the angle between main range and wing, a northern extension to the east end of the main range, and an east porch. 2 storeys and attic; 4 gabled bays, 3-light chamfer mullioned attic windows with straight hood moulds, 2-storey bay windows to left, right and right of centre, all with canted corners and ovolo- moulded mullions and transoms, three 2-light mullioned windows to first floor centre and two 3-light mullioned windows to ground floor centre, 2- light mullioned windows to ground and first floors between the two right hand bays. 2 storey porch to left of centre with ovolo-moulded semi- circular arch flanked by engaged fluted columns and transomed 5-light window to first floor. Gabled wing set-back to left; mullioned windows of 4 lights to ground and first floors, and of 3 lights to attic. C19 single-storey extension set in front of this with bay window facing to the left. Rear elevation: almost entirely of 1891. Gabled wings to left and right and recessed main range in the centre with large lateral external stack, 3 storey tower to left of right hand wing with moulded storey strings, moulded parapet string decorated with fleurons, and a crenellated parapet; ovolo-moulded mullioned and transomed windows. East elevation: roughly 2:1:2 bays, C19 Jacobean style gabled porch of 2 storeys and attic to right of centre, semi-circular arch flanked by fluted pilasters, first floor window of 5 transomed lights, 3-light mullioned attic window. Right of porch: 2-light mullioned window to ground floor left, and single-light window to ground floor right, cross-window to first floor right and single-light transomed window to first floor left. Left of porch: 2-light chamfer mullioned window to ground floor left and 3-light transomed window to first floor left; external stack to right. Interior: vestibule: C19 open well staircase with heavy turned balusters and panelled dado; stair window with stained glass and the motto; "WHERE 'ERE / WE ROAM / AN ENGLISH MOTHER / IN AN ENGLISH HOME"; C19 Jacobean style timber fireplace surround heavily carved in relief. The hall: principal room of the house, now partitioned; timber framed walls of closely spaced studs, restored in the C19 but possibly C16 in origin, chamfered and stopped cross beam and joists; large lateral inglenook fireplace with stone jambs and timber 4-centred head, continuous moulding around the opening. Parlour: floor to ceiling oak panelling, mainly C18 but restored and re-arranged in the C19, fireplace with 4-centred arch and Jacobean style timber surround heavily carved in relief. Long gallery: large 4-centred arch fireplace with hollow chamfered and roll moulded surround and C19 floor to ceiling panelling. Bedroom: fireplace with 4-centred arch and a Jacobean style timber surround. B.o.E. p. 309; Supplement to The Mercury. Friday July 21st, 1899.

Listing NGR: SK1622908235

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
272596
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 309
'The Mercury' in 21 July, (1899)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].