CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MILL END LANE
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038926.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 08-May-2021 at 18:46:14.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, MILL END LANE
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- Lichfield (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SK 16769 15267
SK 1615-1715; 9/39
ALREWAS C.P., MILL END LANE (East side)
Church of all Saints
Parish Church. C13, replacing an earlier church, additions of the C14 and the C16 and of 1891. Large coursed and squared sandstone blocks; lead roofs of low pitch. West tower, 3-bay nave with transepts and south porch, 3-bay chancel.
West tower: C14, three stages with angle buttresses dying into the second stage, hollow chamfered parapet string and crenellated parapet with crocketed corner finials; West door of circa 1200, two roll-moulded orders springing from nook shafts with palmette capitals, and 2-leaf nail studded door with inscribed geometrical pattern made up of diamond shapes incorporating the initials T.R.I. and W.M.B. and the date 1622, and flamboyant strap hinges; pointed west window immediately above with three cinquefoil-headed lights and perpendicular tracery, single-light window to the south with segmental pointed head; belfry marked by a string, pointed belfry openings with two trefoil-headed lights and quatrefoil in the head. South aisle: mid-C14, heightened in the C16, coinciding with a heightening of the nave arcades, bay divisions marked by buttresses; pointed lower windows each with two trefoil-headed lights and 8-lobed figure in the head and quarter-round moulded surround, C19 restoration of C14 windows; paired Tudor-arch upper windows with Y-tracery, C14 west window similar to the south windows, tall pointed east window of three lights with curvilinear tracery of circa 1340 and quarter-round moulded surround, tracery restored in C19. Gabled porch of 1866 with diagonal buttresses, pointed arch with hoodmould and engaged columns with ballflower decorated capitals. North aisle: late C14, heightened in the C16; C12 north door re-set, with single roll-moulded order springing from nook shafts with cushion capitals, pointed lower windows to centre and west of north side of two trefoil-headed lights with super mullions and quatrefoil in the head, C15 square headed window to the east with two trefoil-headed lights; C16 triangular arch upper windows of three lights with cusped heads, large pointed east window of four trefoil-headed lights with perpendicular tracery over, pointed west window of four lights with cinquefoiled heads and perpendicular tracery, restored. Chancel: C13; heightened in the C16 and restored in 1877; pilaster buttresses at the bay divisions, lower windows to north and south are lancets, upper windows are C19, probably copies of earlier windows, they are pointed and have three trefoil-headed lights and deeply hollowed surrounds; pointed doorway to the south with hood mould terminating in heads; pointed east window of three pointed lights with cusped circles above, tracery restored in C19.
INTERIOR: C13 south arcade, heightened in the C16, double-chamfered pointed arches on octagonal columns with moulded capitals and squat moulded bases; north arcade of 1891, pointed and double-chamfered tower arch, pointed chancel arch with two continuous orders, the inner has a sunken chamfer, the outer an ogee moulding, ogee-moulded dripstone springing from corbels of which only the right-hand one remains, this is carved with a face peering out of foliage; C16 roofs to nave and south aisle with ridge piece, one pair of purlins and cambered tie beams, all moulded, and carved bosses; C19 roofs to north aisle and chancel in a similar style; C13 sedilia and piscina in south wall of chancel, pointed and chamfered arches, the seats of the sedilia are stepped up towards the east. Fittings: C15 octagonal font, panelled and traceried pedestal and basin, grotesques to each corner of the base; poor box inscribed "REMEMBER / THE POOR" and dated 1710; two oak chests reinforced with iron straps, probably C14; semi-octagonal pulpit dated 1639 with carved panels; two C16 oak benches with carved panels and poppy heads; former communion rail now at west end of north aisle, C17, turned balusters; reredos by Basil Champneys, 1892; remains of C15 wall painting on north side of chancel.
Monuments: wall memorial to William and Elinor Turton died 1681 and 1683, aedicule on console brackets with Corinthian columns, semi-circular pediment broken by a coat of arms; wall plaque to John Turton died 1707, by Thomas White of Worcester, aedicule with fluted pilasters and drawn back curtains, surmounted by a coat of arms with flanking urns spouting flame; bracketed wall plaque to John Turton died 1771, with sarcophagus and obelisk, the latter bearing a coat of arms; bracketed wall plaque to John Bradley died 1708, aedicule with panelled pilasters and open semi- circular pediment.
Listing NGR: SK1676915267
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Staffordshire, (1974), 53
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing