CATHERINE MILL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1038943
Date first listed:
13-Sep-1972
Date of most recent amendment:
24-Oct-1989
Statutory Address:
CATHERINE MILL, CATHERINE STREET, CA28 7QT

Map

Ordnance survey map of CATHERINE MILL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1038943 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Jul-2019 at 01:41:34.

Location

Statutory Address:
CATHERINE MILL, CATHERINE STREET, CA28 7QT

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Cumbria
District:
Copeland (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NX 97364 17813

Details

This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 02/02/2017

NX 9717 NW, 4/12

WHITEHAVEN, CATHERINE STREET, Catherine Mill

(Formerly Listed as: Barracks Mill)

(Previously listed as: Factory building of Dobson & Musgrave, II; and, Factory Building of Dobson & Musgrave, II*)

II*

Former fireproof flax mill (empty at time of inspection, August 1989; noted converted to flats, Jun. 2016). 1809 (dated rainwater heads and documentary evidence). Coursed limestone; renewed concrete pantiled gable-end roofs. Long range with centrally-placed engine house, possibly the first mill building to have its engine house so positioned and marking an important stage in the development of the textile mill. Four storeys. Seven window bays to either side of slightly projecting pedimented central wing (which contains the engine house), including two loading bays asymmetrically placed. All windows under segmental arches with keystones; renewed casements with glazing bars. Some ground-floor window openings altered. Central doorway (double doors with recessed panels), the pedimented wing with one central window to each floor. Moulded stone cornice. End walls with stone coping and external stack; left-hand return rendered with three windows, the openings narrowed in brick; right return with two windows to each floor treated as to front, those to the left lengthened to form loading bays. 4th floor window set within stack. Blocked circular privy windows, two to each floor. Rear, the engine house projecting one window bay with tall tapering external stack, renewed top course of shaft in brick. Windows as to front, several altered. INTERIOR: central rank of paired iron columns. Quatrefoil in section, with lugs for line shafting. Cast-iron queen-strut roof. Transverse arches below windows to equalise load.

This mill is of national importance. It appears to be the earliest mill to contain a central engine house which was more economical in driving long line shafts. It is also one of the half dozen or so earliest surviving fire-proofed mills. Plan, section and brief discussion in K Falconer and R Thorne's, 'Industrial Archaeology and the RCHME; Industries Archaeology Review (1986), 29-30.

------------------------------------

Previous listing: CATHERINE STREET 1. 1814 Factory building of Dobson & Musgrave NX 9717 NW 4/12 II 2. Large, long rectangular building in stone, 4 storeys high, with new roof. 17 windows on each floor, with pediment over the middle 3, all windows with segmental heads. Square tapering chimney in centre of pediment on West side, and lower gabled wing in centre. Once a barracks, but said to have been built between 1811 and 1829 as a linen mill.

Listing NGR: NX9736417813

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
75904
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Industrial Archaeology Review' in Industrial Archaeology Review, (1986), 29-30

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/02679/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Julian Thurgood. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email Enri[email protected].