Church of St Andrew


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Ferry Lane


Ordnance survey map of Church of St Andrew
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039117.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2020 at 15:28:26.


Statutory Address:
Church of St Andrew, Ferry Lane

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Derbyshire (District Authority)
Twyford and Stenson
National Grid Reference:
SK 32741 28551


SK 32 NW 3/102



GV I Parish church. C12, C13, C14 and early C18. Tower repaired 1821. Restoration 1910. Coursed squared sandstone and red brick with sandstone dressings. Lead roofs. West tower, nave and chancel.

West tower of three stages divided by chamfers. The lowest stage forms a tall plinth. The next stage has a single roughly cut lancet to each side except the east. Two-light bell openings to each side with a flat arch and Dec tracery. On the south side is an intermediate rectangular louvred opening. Moulded cornice and battlemented parapet. Short octagonal stone spire with one tier of lucarnes.

The nave was rebuilt in the C18 using medieval masonry on the inside and brick on the outside. Stone plinth and stone coped parapets. Stone quoins; to south. To the north are two round-arched windows with stone surrounds, key and impost blocks. The south side has two similar windows and to the left a round-arched doorway with similar moulded surround with key and impost blocks. C19 plank doors. The nave windows are of cast iron with leaded lights. The chancel south has a two-light Dec window under a square head, with tracery similar to the bell openings of the tower. To the right a plain unmoulded pointed arched priests doorway with C20 plank door and a three-light Dec window with cusped lights, mouchettes and a reticulation unit. The east end of the chancel has diagonal buttresses and a three-light window with reticulated tracery, partly renewed. The north side of the chancel has one two-light window of two plain arched lights under a flat head, possibly C16. To the right a buttress. Chamfered string course above the windows on the north and south sides.

INTERIOR: plain pointed tower arch with impost blocks. C12 chancel arch, round-arched with zigzag ornament. Colonnettes with elementary capitals and bases. Remains of dogtooth moulding on the imposts. Above the chancel arch are traces of painted scenes. The chancel has a single purlin roof with cambered tie beam. In the north wall a tomb slab with plain inscription to George Harpur +1658. Brass inscription plate set in, to Anna his wife +1688. Early C18 communion rails with heavy turned balusters. On the south side of the chancel is a brass tablet in the shape of a shield, to Simon Bristowe and others, late C17. On the north wall a defaced tablet to a Harpur Crewe, c1700. Stained glass in the east window of 1906 by T Dudley Forsyth of London. Pair of single tier brass chandeliers. Carved C19 octagonal font.

Listing NGR: SK3274428552

This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 10 April 2017.


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


War Memorials Register, accessed 10 April 2017 from


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Jul 2000
Reference: IOE01/02419/04
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Connolly. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].