PILLATON OLD HALL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1039189

Date first listed: 16-May-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 02-Jan-1986

Statutory Address: PILLATON OLD HALL

Map

Ordnance survey map of PILLATON OLD HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039189 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Nov-2018 at 16:07:06.

Location

Statutory Address: PILLATON OLD HALL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Staffordshire

District: South Staffordshire (District Authority)

Parish: Penkridge

National Grid Reference: SJ 94241 12940

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 91 SW PENKRIDGE C.P. PILLATON

6/77 Pillaton Old Hall (Previously listed as 16.5.53 'Pillaton Old Hall with

GV II*

Gatehouse range and chapel. Early C16 with chapel of 1488, alterations of 1706, restored 1888. Red brick (English bond) with ashlar plinth, dressings and chapel; plain tile roof; brick ridge stack and integral end stacks with paired octagonal shafts. Surviving range of a former quadrangular house; aligned east-west with 2-bay chapel to the east on the same alignment but projecting north, and a wing of c.1980 project- ing from the west end of the south front and aligned north-south. North Front: Chapel to the left, and set-back gatehouse range to the right. Chapel: Single-storey left hand bay and 2-storey right hand bay, buttresses to each angle and to centre, crenellated parapet; mullioned windows to the right with cinquefoil arched lights with sunken spandrels beneath a square head, the lower has 3 lights, the upper 4 lights and a returned hood mould, the left hand window is tall and transomed consisting of 3 upper and 3 lower lights all with cinque- foiled heads and sunken spandrels, returned hood mould. Gatehouse Range: 2 storeys and 3-storey gatehouse to left of centre approached by bridge (q.v.) with circular domed angle turrets on V-shaped buttresses; 1:2:3 windows, C19 windows of 5 transomed lights in C16 openings to ground floor and to first floor left, the others are C19 cross windows in C18 openings with segmental heads, mullions and transoms are ovolo-moulded; Tudor gate arch with battened doors; gatehouse and right hand range have a moulded cornice, left hand range has a crenella- ted parapet, rainwater head to gatehouse dated 1706. South front: Chapel set-back to right, gatehouse range to left, its left hand bay obscured by the extension wing of c.1980. Gatehouse range: 2 storeys and 3-storey gatehouse to right of centre with circular angle turrets on V-shaped buttresses; 2:2:1 windows, C19 windows of 3 transomed lights in C16 openings, the gatehouse has C19 cross windows in C18 openings with segmental heads; gatehouse has Tudor gateway arch, second floor band, moulded cornice probably contemporary with rainwater head dated 1706. Chapel: Paired squints to ground and first floor right of centre; C19 wooden 2-storey porch to left. East end: East window of 4 upper and 4 lower lights, all windows have cinquefoil headed lights under a flat arch with returned hood mould; parapet stepped up to centre and crowned by a cross. Base of a former garderobe serving the west range to the south of the chapel linked by short length of wall approximately 10 feet long. Interior: Gatehouse range has timber framed partition walls, a wooden newel staircase on the west side of the gatehouse, a sandstone fireplace with Tudor arch, recased in the C19 . Chapel: Western gallery; C19 roof of low pitch with moulded purlins and rafters; C15 stone font with trefoil headed arcading. Stained glass: East and north-east window of c.1888. Pillaton Old Hall was formerly surrounded by a moat, this survives to the north and east. A chimney stack (q.v.)survives from the former east and south ranges.

Listing NGR: SJ9424112940

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 271726

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing