Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1039760

Date first listed: 03-May-1968

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Feb-1989



Ordnance survey map of UPTON HALL (QUINTON HOUSE SCHOOL)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1039760 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jan-2019 at 07:58:17.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Northampton (District Authority)

Parish: Upton

National Grid Reference: SP 71656 60210


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


In the entry for:

SP 7160 30/529 Upton Hall (Quinton House School) (formerly listed as Quinton House School) Upton

The address and description shall be amended to read: 7159 NE UPTON A45 (south side) 4/3 Upton Hall (Quinton House School) 03/05/68 (formerly listed as Quinton House School) GV

Country house, now school. Mid C18 with late C15/early C16 origins. Alterations and additions of c 1809. Other late C19 alterations. Restored 1985. Red brick with some flared headers, ironstone dressings, slate and plain tile roofs, brick internal stacks. Complex plan. 3-storey, 11-window range. Central 8-panel door with painted pilastered stone surround with pediment. 12-pane sash windows to ground and first floors with stone sills and keyblocked stone lintels. 6-pane attic floor windows with similar sills and heads. Central bay breaks forward slightly. Ground and first floor windows either side flank round-arched niches with statues of Seasons of artificial stone probably Cl9. 2-window left end bay breaks forward. That to right extended forward 1809 by 3 bays. Stone plinth, first floor storey band, moulded stone cornice, moulded stone-coped parapet and raised stone quoins to angles. Projecting wing to right has rainwater heads with initials TS WS and dated 1809 to north. Parapet on this side has swept up ends. Irregular kitchen wing to rear right. 3-bay, 2-storey-and-attic recessed right side elevation with back door and porch flanked by 12-pane sash windows, similar windows to first floor either side of a 24-pane sash, all with stone lintels and keyblocks. Hipped roof dormers with 2-light leaded windows. Left side elevation has Cl9 French windows and sash windows, all with cemented wood lintels. Rear elevation of main range has canted single-storey bay window with Gothick sashes, and similar sashes to ground and first floors in bricked-up openings of former stone mullion windows. Attic gables, that to left with quatre- foil window, that to right with leaded 1-light windows with moulded stone surrounds flanking stone end stack. Interior: original late c15/early C16 4-bay hall roof survives above present hall ceiling. Moulded arch-braced collar trusses with 5-light ogee-arched divisions on collar and intermediate chamfered arch-braced collar trusses with side struts. 4 tiers of moulded wind-braced purlins, quatre- foil wind-bracing to top tier. 2-bay addition to service end with chamfered arch-braced collar trusses with side struts to prinicpal rafters and 3 tiers of wind-braced purlins. 4-light gable window survives internally at other end with hollow-chamfered stone mullions partly broken away, arched heads with cut spandrels and hood mould. Cross-wing roof beyond has collar trusses and 2 tiers of wind-braced purlins and attic room with Tudor-arched stone fireplace with cut spandrels. Plaster-vaulted cross passage in position of original screens passage. Fine plasterwork by Guiseppe Artari in sitting room to right of passage and hall. Sitting room has plasterwork ceiling in two compartments and blank Plaster frames to walls with shell apron swags and ornamental plasterwork drops either side of fireplace and window opposite. 2-storey hall has painted stone chimneypiece to centre of back wall with half pilasters, pulvinated frieze with blank central tablet and broken segmental pediment framing plaster bust of Flora, flanked by plaster putti reclining on pediment and holding a sheaf of corn and a bunch of grapes to left and right respectively. 6-panel doors flank fireplace and have eared surrounds with pulvinated frieze and pediment. End walls have 3-bay blank round-arched arcades, the centre bays framing 6-panel double-leaf doors with cartouches above. Either side are plaster medallions with busts in low relief of Mercury and Diana (right) and Mars and Minerva (left). Niche opposite fireplace frames plaster life-size statue of Apollo with lyre, signed on left side of plinth JOSEPH ATARI and inscribed on right side FE.AN. 1737. 6-panel double-leaf door above right end door with eared surround and wrought-iron balcony. Portraits, mostly of members of Samwell family, all oil on canvas and in architectural frames complete the decoration of the walls, including a large conversation piece over statue of Apollo with Sir Thomas Samwell, his son Thomas and 3 daughters. Compartmented plaster ceiling in style of Inigo Jones with central octagonal compartment and guilloche to divisions. 'Monks' room behind hall has Gothick doors with triple- shafted surrounds and similar triple shafts to veined marble chimneypiece. Coloured glass to upper lights of Gothick sashes with painted glass shields. Veined marble bolection-moulded fireplace surround in adjacent room with late C18 painted wood surround. Open well staircase from ground floor to attic with barley-sugar balusters. Fielded panelling to staff-room. High beamed ceiling to kitchen. (Buildings of England, Northants, 1973, p358)


Upton Hall 1. 5327 (Quinton House School) (formerly listed as Quinton House School) Upton SP 7160 30/529 3.5.68 I 2. Country house of mainly C18 and early C19 appearance. Incorporates structure, including hall roof truss, of C15 house for Knightley family, owners from 1419. South west wing early C17 for Samwell family, owners from 1600. Main block remodelled mid C18: hall statue of Apollo, dated 1737, by Giuseppe Artari; rainwater head on east 1748. East entrance front: stone dressed red brick, some grey headers. Roof parapet. 3 storeys, top floor may be later addition. Plinth, first floor band, second floor cornice. L plan main block with projection on right, slight projections on left and near centre. 2:3:1:3:2 sash windows, all with stone sills, vousoirs and keys; glazing bars (heavy on first floor), except to ground floor on right. Doric door surround with pilasters, pediment, 6 fielded 2 glazed panel door. Semi-circular round arched niches with archivolts, 1 either side of 3 central windows on ground floor and first floor, each with statue of the Seasons circa 1790. Projecting wing on right has rainwater head dated 1809 with initials TSWS. First floor niche in centre of south side. Main south front of 3 windows remodelled and cement rendered circa 1810-20, now with rendering removed, rubble walling exposed. 2 storeys. Gabled west front with pointed arched windows. Early west wing remodelled late C18 or early C19. Interior: very fine 2 storey hall with elaborate plasterwork to walls and ceiling including figures, bas reliefs in medallions, dummy arcades; heavy ornate ceiling panels with running fret, guilloche and caisson patterns; wrought iron balcony grille. Later C17 staircase.

Listing NGR: SP7165660210


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 231873

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)

End of official listing