This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

CHURCH OF ALL SOULS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SOULS

List entry Number: 1040076

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SOULS, ROCHDALE ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Rochdale

District Type: Metropolitan Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1985

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358849

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 81 SE HEYWOOD ROCHDALE ROAD EAST (south side) 6/22 Church of All Souls II

Church 1898-9, F.P. Oakley. Tower 1908. Coursed rock faced stone with slate roof. Nave with clerestory, aisles, north tower and porch. The polygonal apse has a hexagonal vestry to the north and a chapel to the south. The 6-bay nave and aisles have cusped plate-tracery in a C13 style, of 2-light to the aisle and 3 lights to the clerestory. The 4-stage tower stands outside the aisle, has angled buttresses which turn into diagonal buttresses at the bell-stage, the parapet has blind traceried arcading and the bell stage traceried lancet openings. Diagonal weathered gableted buttresses flank the 3-bay polygonal apse which has 2 and 3-light geometrical tracery window in each face. The vestry is roofed pyramidally. Interior: brick faced with stone dressings, the 5-bay double chamfered nave arcade has octagonal columns with plain bold capitals. The chancel arch has detached shafts. Both the entrance porch and chancel have quadripartite brick vaulting; the nave roof is a scissor-braced hammer-beam roof with arch braces. The tower was donated by Rathbone Hartley the first vicar.

Listing NGR: SD8664111007

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 86641 11007

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040076 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 26-May-2018 at 08:59:28.

End of official listing