CHURCH OF ST PETER
- Heritage Category:
- Listed Building
- List Entry Number:
- Date first listed:
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040134.pdf
The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.
This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2020 at 04:41:28.
- Statutory Address:
- CHURCH OF ST PETER
The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.
- East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
- National Grid Reference:
- SP 95190 92748
DEENE DEENE PARK
14/67 Church of St. Peter
Church, now redundant. C13. Restored and chancel rebuilt 1868-69 by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt also work of 1890 by G,F, Bodley. Squared coursed limestone and limestone ashlar with lead and Collyweston slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, chapels, south transept, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel is one blank bay; the south chapel and trancept project over the other 2 bays. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates, plain parapets with corbel table and gable parapet with finial. Large 5-light east window with mouchettes, circle and cusping. Small circular opening above: Flanking 3-stage clasping buttresses with gablets, Carved heads decorating the gablats and window label stops. North alevation of the chancel is a similar blank bay. South aisle and south chapel of 6 bays.Bay to far right is blank with a 2-stage clasping buttress at the cornet-. Adjacent bay breaks forward as south transepts tiff three-light south window and 2-stage clasping buttresses at corners. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets and finial. 3-window range of south aisle of tall 2- and 3 light windows with 4-centred arch-heads. Windows to centre and left are partly C14 other is C19. Lean-to roof continuous with south chapel with plain ashlar parapets. C19 three-light east window to south chapel has geometrical tracery and ogee-head. C14 two-light west window to south aisle has hollow reveals. C19 gabled porch breaks forward to left of centre. Moulded inner and outer doorways both with one order of shafts and carved label stops. Carved plaque with cross keys above outer arch. Ashlar gable parapets and finial. 2-light square-head windows to return walls. North aisle and north chapel of 7-window range. 2-window range of north chapel vestry is of C19 three-light windows with geometrical tracery and carved corbel stops. Priest door to far left also has carved label steps. 5 window range of north aisle is of a C14 two-light windows with ogees and spin. Some tracery restored C19 all have carved label stops. North aisle and north chapel-vestry have separate lean-to roofs with plain ashlar parapets. C19 three-light east window to north aisle is similar to south windows. Nave clerestory of 4-window range of C19 square-head windows. Gabled roof with Collyweston slates, plain ashlar parapets and gable parapet with finial, C13 west tower of stages. 3-stage clasping buttress to north-west corner. 2-stage angle buttress, with secondary single-stage buttress, to north and south-east corners. Shallow 2-stage buttress to south-west corner is else the stair turret and has aDulding to corner of upper stage, West doorway has 2-centered arch-head with roll mouldings, nail head decoration and 2 orders of shafts. Plain lancet window above and similar windows to north and west faces of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage have one order of shafts central polygonal shaft, quatrefoil circle above and single chamfered 2-centred arch-head. Corbel table above, with plain ashlar parapet. Set back, ashlar, broach spire with roll mouldings at the angles. 2 tiers of lucarne at alternate laces. Lower tier has a lower opening with a trefoil head and on upper opening with 2 orders of shafts, central shaft and trefoil above. Interior; 4-bay nave arcade of C13 double chamfered arches, largely reconstructed C19. Circular piers and semi-circular responds. The west responds apex to be original. C19 moulded and chamfered chancel arch with marble cluster shaft responds supported on a carved corbels. Double-chamfered tower arch also with carved corbels. Double-chamfered and molded arches, between aisles and chapels, have plain responds. C14 two-bay chancel arcade with moulded arches, central pier with marble shafts and cluster shaft responds similar to chancel arch.C14 roll moulded-arch, from south chapel to transept. C19 roof structures, the chancel roof is barrel vaulted with painted wooden panels. The chancel walls have stencil decoration by Bodley. C19 iron railings, with stone base, between nave and chancel and chancel, south aisle and south chapel. C19 piscina and triple sedilia to right of alter has trefoil heads and crocketed gables. Similar niche to left of altar. Chancel floor tiles by Maws. C19 brass candle brackets in chancel and brass communion rail. Stained glass: east window by Lavers, Barrand and Westlake c.1868. C19 stained glass to south chapel and transept windows, 2 windows of north aisle and one window ,if south aisle; the latter is by Anning and Bell c.1919.C19 octagonal font. C19 pink marble pulpit. South chapel reredos c.1635, three carved medallions depicting the Heart of Jesus, vines and chalice. Monuments; matrices for brass in floor of south aisle and Brudenell monuments, all in south chapel and adjacent transept. Sir Robert Brudenell died 1531 and 2 wives, 3 recumbent alabaster effigies on a sarcophagus with balusters and quatrefoil panels. Brasses to Edmund Brudenell d.1585: Sir Thomas Brudenell , d.1549; John Brudenell, d.1606; Edmund Brudenell, d.1652 and Robert d.1549. Three arch-head recesses to south and east walls; one has Ionic pilasters with cartouche and oblisks over, one other has Doric pilasters. Chest tomb used as altar has 3 shields in panels. Thomas Brudenell, d.1664; small open fronted chest tomb at base of chancel pier, arch-head openings with Ionic pilasters. Anne Duchess of Richmond, d.1722 by Guelfi, west wall of transept; bust set against square surround with flanking caryatids, metope frieze and pediment over. Countess of Cardigan, d.1826 by Sievier, decorated wall tablet. Seventh Earl of Cardigan, d.1868 and wife, by Sir J.E. Boehm, recumbent effigies on sarcophagus, bronze sea horses at the bottom corners. Various other C19 and C20 tablets to Brudenell family in south chapel and south aisle. Lord Robert Brudenell-Bruce, d.1912 and wife, wall tablet incorporating reset stone crucifix. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire; p176)
Listing NGR: SP9519092748
The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.
- Legacy System number:
- Legacy System:
Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,
This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.
End of official listing