Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Date of most recent amendment:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040142.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Feb-2020 at 18:57:18.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Thorpe Achurch
National Grid Reference:
TL 02138 83136


TL08SW 7/125 23/05/67

THORPE ACHURCH ACHURCH Church of St. John the Baptist

(Formerly listed as Church of St. John)


Church. Early and late C13, restored and enlarged c.1862 by William Slater. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar tower and spire and Collyweston slate and lead roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, transepts, south porch, north vestry and west tower. South elevation of chancel of 3-window range of 2-light windows. Window to right is late C13 with quatrefoil circle and carved label stops, other 2 are mainly C19. Priest door to left of centre and single stage buttresses, with gablets to, right of centre and far right. Corbel table supporting C19 gutter. Steep gabled roof and ashlar gable parapets with finial. 5-light east window has C19 tracery with trefoils. Flanking buttresses have gablets with Y-tracery decoration. North elevation of chancel of one-window range with C19 two-light window similar to south elevation. Flanking buttresses. South elevation of chancel of 3 bays; 2-window range of C19 two-light windows. C19 corbel table, supporting gutter, and steeply gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets and finial. Bay to left has C19 gabled porch. Chamfered and moulded outer doorway has corbelled responds with short shafts. Double chamfered inner doorway. South transept breaks forward to right. Late C13 two-light south window has quatrefoil circle and elongated trefoils. C19 two-light east window has medieval label stops. C19 corbel table, ashlar gable parapet and steeply gabled roof. C19 north aisle of 3-window range of 2-light windows with single-stage buttresses between. Lean-to lead roof with plain ashlar parapet and corbel table. 2-light west window. North transept, to left of north aisle, has 2-light window, similar to south aisle, restored C19. Ashlar gable parapet with octagonal flue at apex. C19 organ chamber and vestry abuts transept to east and has 2-light north and east windows. Buttresses at corners and abutment. Corbel table, ashlar gable parapet and steeply gabled roof. West tower of 3 stages with plinth. 2-stage angle buttresses to south-west corner of lower two stages. Polygonal stair turret to north-west corner. Early C13 west door has 2 orders of shafts and roll-moulded arch. 2 lancet windows above doorway. Quatrefoil circles in north and south faces of second stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings, with Y-tracery, to each face of upper stage. 2 openings also have trefoil circles. Hood mould is linked by string course. Corbel table with carved heads linked by trefoil arcading. Broach spire with 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 3-bay nave arcade of C19 double-chamfered arches with quatrefoil piers and foliated capitals. Similar double-chamfered arch from north aisle to transept. C13 double-chamfered chancel arch and similar arches to transepts with corbelled responds. Early C13 stiff-leaf capital to north-east respond. Similar triple-chamfered tower arch. C19 roof structures. Low cill, forming sedilia, to window to right of altar. Plain octagonal font. C19 furnishings. Trefoil-head piscina in north transept. C19 stained glass to east window, south window of chancel, and north transept window. Monuments: Arthur Elmes died 16bS, reset oval wreathed tablet in tower with cherub above and scull below. 3 other partially legible (:17/early C18 tablets in tower, 2 have armorial devices above, the other is a plain tablet. Sir Thomas Powys died 1719, monument in south transept, said to be reset from Lilford Church, by Robert Hartshorne. Large standing monument with detached Corinthian columns and open segmental pediment: putti and drapery falling over reclining figure below inscribed panel, flanked by figures of Truth and Justice. Charles and Henry Powys died 1804 and 1812, inscribed tablet to west wall of south transept has military still-life below. Henrietta Maria Powys died 1820, inscribed tablet to east wall of north transept has still-life of books and bowls below. Thomas Powys, second Lord Lilford, died 1825, inscribed tablet alongside. 3 similar C19 tablets to east wall of south transept have pediments over. Various C18 inscribed floor tablets to Powys family in south transept and mid C19 brass inscribed tablets to Powys family in transepts and chancel. Thomas Atherton Powys died 1882, marble medallion, with profile, to right of altar. The Powys family lived at Lilford Hall (q.v.). Robert Browne (1550-1630), who was Rector of Achurch, formed the first Independant Congregation. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.427; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.135).

Listing NGR: TL0213883136


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 427
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 135


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Jul 2002
Reference: IOE01/05856/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Kirkpatrick. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].