Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1040366

Date first listed: 08-May-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 17-Jun-1987



Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST PETER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040366 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 16:20:53.



The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: East Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Irthlingborough

National Grid Reference: SP 94787 70648


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


IRTHLINGBOROUGH CHURCH STREET SP9470NE (West side) 16/74 Church of St. Peter 08/05/50 (Formerly listed as Parish Church of St. Peter) GV I

Collegiate church. C12 origins, mainly mid C13 to early C14, restored C19, tower rebuilt 1889-93. Licence to make existing church collegiate obtained by John Pyel in 1373. Squared coursed limestone with ironstone and ashlar dressings. Lead and plain tile roofs. Aisled nave and chancel, transepts, west tower linked to church by former college buildings. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with 2-light window with Y-tracery. Chancel clerestory above. Late C13 five-light east window of lancets forming Y-tracery. North elevation of chancel of one-window range with 2-light window with C19 Y-tracery. South chapel of 2-window range of 2-light windows with Y-tracery. Single chamfered south doorway to left. 2-stage buttresses between bays and at corner. North chapel of 2 bays. One-window range with 2-light C19 window to right. Lean-to roof with quatrefoil frieze with shields. 2-light east window with Y-tracery. Small 3-sided C19 vestry in corner between north chapel and chancel. South transept has 3-light Decorated south window with reticulated tracery. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. 2-light east window with Y-tracery and single lancet to west elevation. North transept has 3-light north window with Y-tracery. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapet. East side is blank. 2-light C19 west window with Y-tracery. South aisle of 2-window range with C14 three-light square-head window to right, with reticulated tracery. C19 single lancet to left. 2-stage buttresses between windows. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. 3-light west window with Y-tracery. North aisle of 3 bays. 2-window range with 2-light square-head window to left, with renewed tracery and 3-light central window with segmental arch head. Blocked north door to right has moulded surround and trefoil-head holy water stoup to right. Blocked square-head window above. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapet. C14 four-light west window has tracery with mouchettes. 3-light west window to nave at clerestory level. North and south nave clerestory of 4-window range of 3-light windows under segmental-arch heads. Shallow gable roof with castellated ashlar parapet and cornice. Chancel clerestory of 4-window range of 3-light square-head windows with some renewed tracery, all with hood moulds. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar gable parapets, cornice and 12 gargoyles. West porch and attached vestry were formerly part of college buildings, restored C19. South elevation of porch of 2 bays with C19 two-light window to right and south doorway with moulded stone surround to left. Hood mould of blocked window to centre and evidence of various refenestration. Gabled roof behind ashlar parapet with cornice. North elevation of porch is similar to south. South elevation of vestry of one-window range with C19 two-light window with plate tracery. Large 3-stage buttress to right has blank half arch at base with squint and fragment of arch at head. North elevation of vestry has blocked arch head door opening to lower level and similar blocked opening above. Blocked square-head opening to right return wall above porch has similar blocked opening. Gabled roof with plain tiles behind ashlar parapet. C19 octagonal flue. C14 style west lantern tower carefully rebuilt as replica. Tower of 4 stages of banded limestone and ironstone. 4-stage, set-back angle buttresses to lower 3 stages. West face of first stage has arch-head door opening above ground level. Faces of second and third stage have single-light windows with cusping. Armorial plaques to head of third stage. Pairs of single-light bell-chamber openings with niches between and tracery, to each face of fourth stage. 2-stage octagonal lantern above with polygonal turrets with castellated parapet at each corner. Castellated parapet is continued between turrets as a frieze at the base of the lantern and was added to the original design when the tower was rebuilt. Lower stage of lantern has single-light square-head windows to each face, some blocked. Upper stage has 3-light square-head windows with reticulated tracery, to each face, all blocked with ironstone. Corbel table and castellated ashlar parapet with arrow slits. Short octagonal lead spire with weathervane. Undercroft of former college buildings is attached to north of tower and vestry and has asphalt roof. 2 square-head windows to east elevation. Interior: 4-bay nave arcade of early/mid C13 double-chamfered arches of limestone and ironstone with quatrefoil piers. Piers differ. Double chamfered chancel arch with circular responds and similar double chamfered arches to north and south chapels and transepts, south transept has octagonal responds. Base of C12 piers to south arcade. C19 roof structures. Double piscina to right of altar with squint, niche and C12 aumbry alongside. Trefoil-head tomb recess to left of altar, also niche. Aumbry with ogee head, pinnacles and flower decoration to left of north chapel altar. Encased shaft in south chapel wall. Various masonry fragments to left and right of altar in south chapel. Large blank arcade, with 3 short shafts, to east wall of north transept. Monuments: Richard Frysby, first Dean of College, brass panel in north chapel floor. John Pyel died 1380 and wife, alabaster chest tomb with quatrefoil panels and shields and 2 mutilated recumbent effigies, right of south chapel. C14 alabaster effigy of recumbent lady on plain chest tomb to left of south chapel is said to be wife of Sir Thomas Cheney. Grey marble Perpendicular chest tomb, now reset as south aisle altar has canopy over with 4 ogee-head arches, 3 quatrefoil panels with shields to base, pendant-vaulted ceiling and brass matrices to back wall. Maria Leyborne, died 1690; inscribed tablet with scrolls and armorial device over, left wall of north chapel. Henry Wyckly died 1728 and wife; arch-head plaque with panelled pilasters alongside. Simon Taylor died 1786; oval tablet with surround to right of north chapel altar. Howes and Lucas family; mid C19 tablet north wall of north chapel. Ann Taylor died 1773; marble tablet with urn in north transept. Simon Taylor, died 1819; marble tablet in south transept. 8 C14/C15 stalls in chancel, with 4 poppy heads and one misercord. Early C20 stained glass east window by Kempe. Early C20 glass in south chapel, one north aisle and south chapel windows. Interior of porch has 4 doors, at cardinal points, with moulded stone surrounds. Door into nave has 3 niches to either side. Belfry has 2 inscribed tablets to rebuilding of tower. Rib vaulted undercofts below south transept. College was established for a Dean, 5 secular canons and 4 clerks. It was dissolved at the Dissolution of the Monasteries. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.267; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.3, p.207; Rev. L.V. Rogers, St. Peters Church).

Listing NGR: SP9478770648


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 232375

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
Rogers, L V , St Peters Church Guidebook
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1930), 207

End of official listing