Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040381.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Jun-2021 at 12:20:38.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Great Addington
National Grid Reference:
SP 95862 75114


GREAT ADDINGTON CRANFORD ROAD SP9575 (North side) 14/7 Church of All Saints 23/05/67 GV II*

Church. C12 origins, mainly C13 and C14, restored C19. Squared coursed and regular coursed limestone and ironstone with lead roof. Aisled nave,chancel, north chapel, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel is 3-window range of 2-light Perpendicular square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with plain ashlar parapets. Rainwater head has date 1891. 3-light Perpendicular east window. North elevation of chancel has C19 vestry attached with 2-light east window and north door. Rainwater head has initials 'J.T.'. South aisle of 2-window range of C14 windows with quatrefoils. 3-light east and west windows with segmental heads. Lean-to roof with ashlar parapets. Central gabled porch has C12 outer arch with spaces for 3 orders of shafts, stiff leaf capitals and zig-zag decoration to arch. Inner arch is C14 with roll mouldings. Ashlar gable parapets and finial base. North aisle and north chapel of 4 bays. 3-window range, of C14 square-head windows with ogee-head tracery and all with carved label stops. North door in bay to right of centre has stepped and chamfered semi-circular arch head. Small low-side square-head window in left bay. 2-stage buttresses between bays. Nave clerestory has 2-light square-head windows. Shallow gabled roof with ashlar parapets. Decorated west tower of 3 stages with 3-stage clasping buttresses to western corners. West door with roll mouldings has niche above with nodding ogee head and lozenge surround. Diamond window with cusping to south face of first stage and west face of second stage. 2-light window to south face of second stage and single lancet to north face. 2-light bell-chamber openings to each face of upper stage. Frieze above has ogee heads with quatrefoils in the spandrels. Castellated parapet with cross slits. Flat-topped stair turret behind parapet in south-west corner. Interior: I-bay nave arcade of double chamfered arches of limestone and ironstone. Octagonal piers, and north arcade has one quatrefoil pier. Double chamfered chancel arch and triple chamfered tower arch. Double chamfered arch from north aisle to north chapel and similar arch from chancel to north chapel. C19 roof structures. Staircase to former rood loft has doorway with 4-centre head. Recess in south wall of south aisle has arch head with roll moulding, stiff-leaf finial and flanking pinnacles. Perpendicular screen in both arches to the north chapel. Tub font with central column support and 4 detached columns; 4 carved heads around bowl. Piscina or holy water stoup supported on detached column. Late C17 pulpit. Early C19 pews, those on south side have door. Plank door with original lock to south porch. Monuments: John Bloxham c.1519, brass figure left of altar with scroll emanating from head, on a plain chest-tomb. Sir Henry Vere died 1493, in north chapel, formerly Chantry Chapel, alabaster effigy. Various C18 tablets to Lambe family and C19 tablets to Tyley family in chancel. Stained glass: low-side window in north chapel has reset medieval glass, also fragments of similar glass in north aisle window. C19 stained glass to east windows of chancel and south aisle. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.228).

Listing NGR: SP9586275114


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 228


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 02 Mar 2006
Reference: IOE01/15164/30
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].