Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST LEONARD
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040412.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 11:10:37.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Aston Le Walls
National Grid Reference:
SP 49555 50808


SP45SE, 2/3

ASTON-LE-WALLS, MAIN STREET (North side), Church of St. Leonard



Church. C12/C13, and early C14. Restored c.1870 and 1881-2 by J. M. Townsend. Coursed squared ironstone and coursed rubble, lead and slate roofs. Chancel, nave and aisles south porch, west tower and west porch. Chancel has C14 priest's door to north and early C14 windows with cusped Y tracery (mostly renewed C19). two early C13 windows right of porch in south aisle. Window to left, 2 lights with plate tracery, window to right, pair of lancets. C19 window left of porch. C14 west window ha 2 ogee-headed lights under square hood and ogee-headed recess below. C14 south porch, restored C19. C13 inner doorway has arch with roll mouldings, jamb shafts with bell capitals and a ribbed plank door North doorway (blocked) c.1200 has pointed arch of 2 unchamfered orders. Jambs have scallop capital to east and capital with stylised leaves to west. Shafts missing. Two early C13 two-light windows to left. West tower C12/C13. Three stages, plain parapet; C12 round-headed lancet south side ground stage C13 bell openings of 2 lights with plate tracery (renewed C19). Gabled C14 porch. Inner doorway c.1200 has pointed arch of 3 unchamfered orders, chamfered jambs and simple moulded band in place of capitals.

INTERIOR: C13 double piscina and sedilia in chancel. C13 nave arcades, 3 bays with circular and octagonal piers and double chamfered arches. Perpendicular nave roof. Romanesque font, square carved with intersecting blind arcading on south side, knot pattern to east, tree of life to west and chequer pattern to north. C14 stone effigy of a priest in recess in chancel with cusped arch flanked by finial thought to be monument to John de Ardele, who was presented as priest to this church in 1348 (V.C.H.). Monument to Elizabeth Orme, died 1692, wall tablet, north aisle, white marble with black Ionic half columns surmounted by crest and small portrait bust. Bench ends have re-used medieval tracery and small buttresses.

(Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.95; V.C.H.: Northamptonshire, Vol.I, p.405).

Listing NGR: SP4955550808


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1961), 95
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1902), 405


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Oct 2003
Reference: IOE01/11340/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Alistair F Nisbet. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].