THE OLD MANOR HOUSE (NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 MANOR HOUSE) AND STONE WALLS

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1040456

Date first listed: 04-Feb-1969

Statutory Address: THE OLD MANOR HOUSE (NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 MANOR HOUSE) AND STONE WALLS, THE GREEN

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE OLD MANOR HOUSE (NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 MANOR HOUSE) AND STONE WALLS
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040456 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:24:38.

Location

Statutory Address: THE OLD MANOR HOUSE (NUMBERS 1, 2 AND 3 MANOR HOUSE) AND STONE WALLS, THE GREEN

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire (District Authority)

Parish: Culworth

National Grid Reference: SP 54267 47029

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CULWORTH THE GREEN SP5447 (North side) 10/45 The Old Manor House (Nos. 1,2 4/2/69 and 3 Manor House) and stone walls

GV II

House. C17, enlarged early C18. Now 3 dwellings. South front, coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, west, north and east sides, coursed limestone rubble banded with ironstone. Roof covered by snow at time of survey, brick and stone stacks. L-plan with small courtyard, partly filled in by C20 additions. 2 storeys, attic and cellar. South front, 3 bays, has entrance to left of centre with wood lintel and plank door. C19 three-light casement window with wood lintel to left. 4-light stone mullioned window with square hood to right. Similar window without hood in right bay on first floor. C19 three-light casement window with wood lintel in left bay, and similar 2-light window above entrance. Coped gable end. Right side has C20 doorways to Nos. 2 and 3. Two and three-light stone mullioned windows on the ground floor. Four similar 2-light windows plus a one-light stone framed window on the first floor. Wing extending to left of main front, 2 storeys, one bay, has C20 casement windows with stone lintels on both floors and coped gable end with kneelers. 2-light windows of c.1700 with wood mullions and transoms on left side. Wall adjoining left side of house, and extending along north side of High Street. C17/C18, Coursed limestone and ironstone rubble, and coursed squared stone with stone coping. Interior. Remodelled C19 and C20. A small room on the ground floor has bolection panelling of c.1700. In the hall are stop-chamfered cross beams and a fireplace with stop chamfered stone jambs and C20 timber bressumer. Formerly the residence of the D'Anvers family, Lords of the manor from the C15. The house was described by Baker in the early C19 as "in a very dilapidated state and occupied by poor families". (George Baker, "History and Antiquities of Northamptonshire", 1822-80, Vol. 1, p.607).

Listing NGR: SP5426747029

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 234074

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Baker, G, History and Antiquities of Northamptonshire 1822-80607

End of official listing