This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1040532



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: South Northamptonshire

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Aynho

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 11-Sep-1953

Date of most recent amendment: 18-Mar-1985

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233936

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


SP5133 AYNHO ROUND TOWN (South side) 12/37 Aynhoe Park 11/09/53 (Formerly listed as Aynho Park House)


Country house now flats. Early C17. Damaged by fire 1645. Remodelled for the Cartwright family c.1665 by Edward Marshall; 1707-14, probably by Thomas Archer; and in 1800-5 by Sir John Soane. Main block, front rendered brick and limestone ashlar dressings. Rear and wings, limestone ashlar. U-plan with stables and offices at right angles to central block and linked to it by archways. North front of main block remodelled 1707-14 and 1800-5. 3 storeys; 11 bays, the 5 centre bays project under a pediment. Central doorway with rusticated pilaster and large triple keystone breaking into the entablature. C20 door. 15-pane sash windows with straight keystoned heads and moulded frames, except those in 5 centre bays of first floor, which have pediments. Balustraded parapet and pediment added by Soane. Former stables on east side of courtyard, are of 1707-14 probably by Archer. 2 storeys; 11 bays with pedimented 5 bay centre defined by chamfered quoins. Central doorway (now window) has arched head, diagonally set pilasters and concave entablature broken by a large keystone. 32-pane sash windows on ground floor and in 5 central bays on first floor, 12-pane sash windows in outer bays of first floor. Blind lunette in pediment. Former service wing on west side courtyard is similar. Both wings are linked to central block by triumphal arches, 1800-5 by Soane. One storey and attic, 3 bays with Tuscan half columns flanking the arch and arched niches in outer bays. Attic with incised decoration. Centre arch of the western archway is glazed and formed housekeeper's room. The south front was main entrance in C17 and is shown in a drawing of 1683 by James Fish. Some details of this date remain. It was remodelled 1707-14. 3 storeys; 11 bays, the 5 central bays defined by chamfered quoins and bracketed pediment. Central doorway (now window) has Tuscan half columns and entablature with double keystone. Arched central window on first floor flanked by Corinthian columns. Above it is blank stone plaque and pediment framed by heads and swags of fruit. Other windows are 15-pane sash with straight keystoned heads, except in 5 centre bays on ground and first floor which have pediments. Flanking wings containing library to left and orangery to right added 1707-14 and heightened 1800-5. Each 2 storeys; 7 bays with arched sash windows on ground floor divided by coupled pilasters, the capitals with inward turning volutes. First- floor window frames have incised Grecian decoration by Soane. 2-bay pediment on west side library by Soane. Interior: Combines work by Archer and Soane. Entrance hall has early C18 screen of 2 pairs of fluted Doric columns on each side and C20 alabaster fireplace. East staircase early C18, open well, with 3 balusters to each tread, twisted, fluted and twisted. The newel posts are fluted Corinthian columns and the tread ends carved with scrolls. Walls have 4 pairs of unfluted Ionic columns added by Soane who planned a more thorough re-modelling of the staircase. West staircase early C19 by Soane, open well with glazed dome and iron balustrade. Garden Hall in centre of south front remodelled by Soane with shallow apsidal ends and groin vault. Early C19 fire- place of grey and white marble with oval figure reliefs linked by swags. French Drawing Room to east has mid C19 rococo revival fireplace in red marble with ormolu decoration. The dining room to the west has at one end 2 unfluted Ionic columns screening a serving alcove with apsidal ends, each with an early C19 mahogany buffet. The library has an early C19 cornice of small Gothic fans and a marble fireplace in the style of Soane with fluted sides and frieze. The "Cold Bathroom" at the east end of main block on ground floor, by Soane (re-modelled 1952) has a Greek cross plan with a groin vault on swelling Tuscan columns. Interior of upper floors not inspected. Park, reputedly landscaped by Capability Brown. (H. Colvin, Biographical Dictionary of English Architects, 1978 edition, pp.69, 539 and 770; G. Nares, Aynhoe Park; Country Life 2nd, 9th and 16th July 1953, pp.42, 122, 202).

Listing NGR: SP5136633030

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), 69,539,770
Nares, G, Aynhoe Park
'Country Life' in 9 July, (1953), 122
'Country Life' in 16 July, (1953), 202
'Country Life' in 2 July, (1953)
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 30 Northamptonshire,

National Grid Reference: SP 51366 33030


© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040532 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 12:46:13.

End of official listing