SCHOOL HOUSE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1040663

Date first listed: 23-Sep-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 12-Mar-1986

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of SCHOOL HOUSE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040663 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 08:50:35.

Location

Statutory Address: SCHOOL HOUSE, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough (District Authority)

Parish: Finedon

National Grid Reference: SP 91219 72010

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FINEOON CHURCH HILL SP9172 (West side) 6/7 School House 23/09/50 (Formerly listed as Boys Junior School) GV II

Boys school and masters house, now house. Datestones 1595 and 1760. Squared coursed ironstone with slate roof. L-shape plan. 2 storeys, part with attic. Main front abutting road of 3-window range at ground floor of 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows with leaded lights. Gabled cross wing to left of c.1595 has C19 plank door to right with 4-centred moulded stone head. 2-window range to right is of a different build. Ashlar gable parapets and kneelars, Ironstone stacks to gable ends of cross wing and ashlar stacks at ridge and end of right range. Single storey extension to far right has datestone 1760 in covered way. Pear elevation facing churchyard is similar with 3- and 4-light stone-mullion windows to cross wing. Datestone 1595 on return wall and Royal coat of arms in gable with initials E.R. Interior has some chamfered ceiling beams. Endowed as a boys school 1595 by Richard Walker; closed as school 1961. (Finedon Otherwise Thingdon by J.L.H. Bailey, p127).

Listing NGR: SP9121972010

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 233658

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Bailey, J L H , Finedon Otherwise Thingdon127

End of official listing