This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1040680



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Northamptonshire

District: Wellingborough

District Type: District Authority

Parish: Wilby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 233594

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WILBY CHURCH LANE SP86NE (North side) 4/309 Church of St. Mary the Virgin 28/05/54

- II*

Church. C13, C14, chancel rebuilt c.1853. Squared coursed and banded limestone and ironstone with lead and plain-tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south aisle, south porch and west tower. South elevation of chancel of one-window range with 2-light window with reticulated tracery. Low side lancet to left and south door to right. Steep gabled roof with ashlar gable parapet and finial. 3-light east window with tracery. North elevation of chancel has vestry attached of 2-window range of C19 two-light square headed windows and 3-light east window. South aisle of 3-window range of C14 two-light square-headed windows with C19 tracery. 3-light east window has Y-tracery with cusping. Lean-to roof has ashlar gable parapets. Gabled porch to left of centre has double-chamfered pointed arch opening. North elevation of nave of 3-window range of 2-light square-headed windows. South nave clerestory of 3-window range of 3-light square head window with renewed arch head lights. Shallow pitched roof with ashlar gable parapets. Decorated west tower has base of 2 stages with plinth. C15 west door with 4-centred arch head and quatrefoils in the spandrels. 2-light ogee head window above has panel tracery and is flanked by statue niches. Small square windows to each face at base of second stage have four-petalled tracery. 3-stage clasping buttresses at corners terminating in pinnacles having panel tracery, with flying buttresses connecting to an octagonal third stage. Gargoyles below pinnacles. 2-light bell-chamber openings to alternate faces. Shallow buttresses at each corner of octagon terminating with panelled pinnacles with flying buttresses connecting to a recessed spire. Open quatrefoil parapets above and below octagon with similar decoration to flying buttresses. Spire has 2 tiers of lucarnes. Interior: 4-bay south arcade of early C14 double hollow and chamfered arches with octagonal piers. Double chamfered chancel and tower arches. 2-bay north arcade in chancel links to the vestry with C19 chamfered and moulded arches with quatrefoil pier. Double sedilia with piscina in chancel and piscina in south aisle. C19 roof structures. Jacobean panelled pulpit. Plank and panelled door. Font is circular bowl on C19 base. Monuments: nave, north wall, inscribed tablet dated 1748 to the Lord family. Several C19 marble tablets. C19 stained glass to chancel windows and tower window. South chancel window is signed by A. Lusson of Paris and tower window is probably by Kempe. C19 floor tiling to chancel. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.463).

Listing NGR: SP8666466174

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 463

National Grid Reference: SP 86664 66174


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1040680 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Oct-2017 at 07:33:28.

End of official listing