CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041108
Date first listed:
17-May-1960
Date of most recent amendment:
22-Jun-1987
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041108.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 12:16:48.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES THE GREAT, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Paulerspury
National Grid Reference:
SP 71568 45496

Details

PAULERSPURY CHURCH STREET SP7145 (West side) 12/40 Church of St. James the Great 17/05/60 (Formerly listed as Church of St. James)

GV II*

Church. C13, C14, C15, much restored (including rebuilding) 1844, 1854 (chancel), and 1864. Coursed squared limestone, slate roofs, lead to north aisle, chancel chapel and west tower. Chancel, north chancel chapel and vestry, nave, north and south aisles, north and south porches, west tower. 3-bay chancel has 3-light Decorated style east window, 3-light windows with intersecting tracery to south and north-east, all with hood moulds, priest's door to south, chamfered, with hood mould linked to string course, buttresses to angles and between bays to south. North chancel chapel continues north aisle and has coupled lancets to south, attached vestry to east with small rectangular windows with chamfered stone surrounds to east and north and ridged stone roof and 5-sided tower beside chancel with similar windows. Nave has 5-bay clerestory with spherical triangle windows and quatrefoil tracery. North aisle has 2-light windows to north with Y-tracery, double-chamfered north door with hood mould and carved head stops within porch of 1864. South aisle has 2-light east window with Decorated-style tracery, 2-light windows to south with Y-tracery and quatrefoil in heads, all with hood moulds. South door with double sunk chamfers within porch with double hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould, one-light windows to east and west with ogee head, diagonal buttresses, tile roof and stone-coped gable. 3-stage west tower has chamfered west door, a 3-light Perpendicular window above with hood mould continuing string course. C19 single-storey lean-to store to north, stair turret projection to south-east with small quatrefoil windows and one small 2-light trefoil headed window at middle stage level. Tall 2-light Perpendicular bell-openings, with transoms and hood moulds. Diagonal buttresses to west angles and battlemented parapets. Interior: chancel has fine C14 triple sedilia and double piscina, seats with pointed trefoil heads, miniature rib vaults within with foliage bosses, projecting divisions with crocketted pinnacles, crocketted hood moulds with ogee-arch frieze above the underside carved with foliage and fantastic beasts and brattishing on top; piscina has six-pointed star in spandrel. Chancel chapel windows have detached shafts inside and half columns, moulded capitals and arches with dog-tooth ornament; 2-bay arcade to chancel with octagonal pier and double-chamfered arches. Nave has 5-bay arcades with similar piers and arches, alternating with circular piers to north. C19 roofs except for C20 roof to chancel chapel. Triptych reredos of 1880 designed by Swinfen Harris with panels painted by Nathaniel Westlake. Fine C19 Perpendicular-style painted stone pulpit. Norman tub font with palmette style ornament either side of scalloped beaded fillet. Stained glass: south-west chancel window 1878 by Clayton and Bell, tower window by Hardman 1893, and C17 painted armorial panels in heads of chancel chapel windows. Monuments: mid C14 oak effigies of knight and lady, her pillow supported by angels, on panelled stone chest tomb, thought to commemorate Sir Lawrence de Pavely and his wife. Large black marble and alabaster chest tomb with relining effigies of Sir Arthur Throckmorton d.1603 and his wife, leaning on one elbow and facing each other. C17 wall monument with segmental pediment filled by cartouche. Mali monument to Benjamin Bathurst d.1704 and his wife d.1727 topped by urn against obelisk panel (behind organ). Wall monuments to Joseph Spinall d.1726 by Hunt, and Robert Sheddon of Paulersbury Park d.1826 by Theakston, and other C19 wall monuments. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, p.371; Kelly's Directory for Northamptonshire, 1928; Guide to the Church of St. James the Great (no date).

Listing NGR: SP7156845496

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
234550
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Guide to the Church of St James The Great Paulersbury
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973)
'Kellys Directory' in Northamptonshire, (1928)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Sep 2007
Reference: IOE01/16841/29
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].