This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1041257



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Whittingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 21-Oct-1953

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236210

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


WHITTINGHAM ROAD TO ESLINGTON NU 01 SE (North side) Whittingham Village 10/125 Church of St. 21/10/53 Bartholomew


Parish church. Saxon, C12 and C13 remains. Chancel rebuilt c.1725. Extensively rebuilt 1840 by John Green for the Rev. Goodenough. Chancel extended and gothicized 1871 by F.R. Wilson. Vestry added 1906.

Squared stone and ashlar. Welsh slate roof. South porch has stone slate roof.

West tower, 3-bay nave with aisles, south porch, -transepts, chancel and north vestry.

Lower stage of tower and west end of nave are Saxon with clear long-and-short quoins. Upper part of tower demolished 1840 and replaced in battlemented Early- English style.

Lower part of aisle walls have C12 or C13 masonry. C14 window with cusped head in west end of south aisle. One north aisle window with intersecting tracery is partly original C14. Other windows, in similar style of 1840.

South porch has pointed arch on plain imposts. C18 sundial on gable. Pointed tunnel vault inside with 2 chamfered transverse ribs.

Transepts have some C13 masonry in lower courses, largely rebuilt 1840 but in north transept one original window, with intersecting tracery, now opens into the vestry.

3-bay chancel has Geometric tracery.

Interior: High round-headed Saxon tower arch with unmoulded imposts. In north- east corner of nave part of blocked arch, probably C11. South arcade C13 with octagonal piers and moulded capitals: double-chamfered pointed arches with dripstones rising from discs with rosettes. Eastern pier has some large dogtooth at the springing of the arch, Western pier has broaches, responds have leafy carving. North arcade is 1840 replacement of C12 arcade and is an exact copy of south arcade. Chancel arch has C13 responds and arch of 1871. Door into vestry possibly re-used priest's door with 4-centred head and continuous chamfer. C13 or C14 piscina in south transept. Altar rails, choir stalls and pulpit by Hicks and Charleswood, probably of 1906. East window has good unsigned glass of 1880. 6 hatchments to members of Ravensworth family. Marble wall monument by Craigs, in north transept, to Reginald Goodenough, killed at Sebastapol; military emblems above the inscription.

Northumberland County History: Vol. XIV.

Whittingham Vale: David Dippie Dixon: Frank Graham. Newcastle, 1974.

Listing NGR: NU0663011948

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Dixon, D, Whittingham Vale, (1974)
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, , Vol. 14, (1935)

National Grid Reference: NU0663011948


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041257 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Sep-2017 at 07:11:59.

End of official listing