BIDDLESTONE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1041304

Date first listed: 31-Jul-1986

Date of most recent amendment: 03-Sep-1986

Statutory Address: BIDDLESTONE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL

Map

Ordnance survey map of BIDDLESTONE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041304 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 10-Dec-2018 at 19:54:57.

Location

Statutory Address: BIDDLESTONE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHAPEL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Biddlestone

National Park: NORTHUMBERLAND

National Grid Reference: NT 95532 08312

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BIDDLESTONE BIDDLESTONE NT 90 NE 15/25 Biddlestone Roman 31/7/86 Catholic Chapel (formerly Listed as Roman Catholic Chapel)

11*

R.C. chapel, formerly private chapel to demolished Biddlestone Hall. Basement C13, chapel early C19, possibly 1820 by John Dobson, for Waiter Selby. Random rubble, ashlar and graduated Lakeland slate roof.

The basement is the tunnel-vaulted ground floor of a C13 tower. Massive masonry and walls 6 ft. thick. Inner doorway at east end has pointed arch with continuous chamfered surround. Continuous offset above ground floor.

Medieval masonry continues higher on north and west sides, indeed to eaves level on north side. Otherwise the chapel is ashlar. 3 bays. Pointed-arched south windows with cusped Y-tracery and dripstones. Similar 3-light east window.

Gabled roof with flat coping, kneelers and foliated-cross finial on east gable.

West end is irregular and patched where chapel adjoined house. Doorway to 1st floor is reached by later closed-in external stair. Parts of 2 C16 or C17 blocked mullioned windows with moulded frames.

In an isolated and extremely picturesque situation.

Northumberland County History Vol. XIV.

Biographical Dictionary of British Architects: Howard Colvin.

Listing NGR: NT9553208312

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 236111

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Colvin, H M, A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978)
Dodds Hope, M, 'A History of Northumberland' in The Parishes of Alnham Chatton Chillingham Eglingham Ilderton Ingram and Whittingham The Chapelries of Lowick and Doddington, , Vol. 14, (1935)

End of official listing