This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

FORMER RAILWAY TERMINUS

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER RAILWAY TERMINUS

List entry Number: 1041411

Location

FORMER RAILWAY TERMINUS, WAGONWAY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Alnwick

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 25-Aug-1977

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 235863

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WAGONWAY ROAD 1. 5330 Former Railway Terminus SU 1912 6/385 II 2. Rebuilt 1887 Probably by William Bell (architect to the N.E.R.) who built the Darlington Bank Top Station, which it resembles, in the same year. Large and solidly built of rock faced snecked rubble with slate roofs "to be worthy of the ducal town" and to accommodate the Alnmonth and Coldstream branch lines. The west, booking hall, front is single storey with rounded corners, 2 pairs of windows at the sides and on corners and triple openings flanking the large central entrance. Cast iron bracketted canopy across centre portion. Three ridge chimneys; tops of train sheds, set back now ridge, capped with open segmental pediments. Plinth; modillions to high eaves cornice. Segmental headed windows with "Board-School" glazing and continuous hood roll interrupted only by end piers. Side elevations of 16 bays, segmental headed windows in panels formed by dividing piers, plinth and modillion cornice set below eaves level. Double train sheds, still partly open to the east which is flanked by large side piers framing 2 wide segmental arches with vertical east iron glazing on a cambered base. These train shed arches are separated by a smaller segmental arch to the central platforms also with vertical cast iron glazing. Two cast iron columns with simple corinthian columns exposed below. nterior: 3 aisles of 7 bays separated by cast iron columns with simple corinthian capitals supporting girder arches. Segmental roofs, with raised centre parts over lines.

Listing NGR: NU1915512941

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU 19155 12941

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041411 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Aug-2018 at 06:30:09.

End of official listing