CHURCH OF ST PETER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041575
Date first listed:
03-May-1968
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2021. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041575.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2021 at 02:21:11.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Cogenhoe and Whiston
National Grid Reference:
SP 83019 61045

Details

COGENHOE AND WHISTON CHURCH STREET SP86SW (East side) Cogenhoe 2/60 Church of St. Peter 03/05/68

GV II*

Church. C13 with older origins, C14 and C15. Restored 1868 by C. Buckeridge. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, plain-tile roof to chancel, otherwise lead roofs. Chancel, vestry, aisled nave, south porch, west tower. 3-bay chancel of early C13 has stepped triple lancet east window of 1868 and paired lancets to north and south. Blocked priest's door below south-west window with Caernarvon-arched head. Vestry to north of 1868 built on foundations of medieval north chancel chapel; 2-light east window with plate tracery and chamfered door to north. Nave has 3-bay C15 clerestory of 2-light windows with straight heads and ogee-arched heads to lights, and plain stone-coped parapet with tall thin pinnacles to east angles. North aisle has 3-light window to north-east with straight head and Decorated tracery of 1868, 2-light window to north-west with Decorated tracery of similar date and 3-light window to west with Perpendicular tracery. Late C12 north doorway has round-arched head and thin chamfer. South aisle has C17 east window at high level with moulded stone mullion and jambs, and wood lintel. 2-light window to south-east with Reticulated tracery and hood mould with label stops, 2-light window to south-west with Decorated style tracery of 1868, and 2-light west window with Geometrical tracery of similar date. Scratch dial to bottom of left jamb of south-east window and blocked 1-light window to left at lower level with cusped ogee-arched head. Late C12 south door has single-stepped pointed arch and shafts with scalloped capitals. C15 south porch has double-chamfered doorway (outer chamfer continuous, polygonal responds innermost), small blocked 1-light window above and small ogee-arched 1-light windows to east and west sides. Tall 3-stage tower has hollow-chamfered and wave-moulded west door with 4-centred head, shields to spandrels and many-moulded rectangular surround. 3-light window above with 4-centred head and Perpendicular tracery. Middle stage has square window to west with cusped diagonal cross tracery and chamfered surround and 1-light window to south. High 2-light bell-chamber openings with transoms and deep hollow chamfer. Diagonal offset buttresses and battlemented parapet with corner pinnacles. Plain stone-coped parapets to porch and aisles. Doors, except blocked priest's door, all have hood moulds and hood moulds to windows except to square window in tower and some other minor 1-light windows. Interior: chancel has full-height blank arcading framing windows with triple shafts, simple moulded capitals, square moulded abaci and chamfered arches. Middle shafts have fillets and those framing east window have shaft rings. Double-chamfered arch to north-west to former chapel with moulded corbels innermost. Group of two aumbries to middle of north wall with pointed trefoil-headed niche above. Chancel arch has pairs of shafts framing hollow chamfer, moulded capitals to shafts flanking heads to top of chamfers, and double-chamfered arch. Nave has 3-bay arcades. Square limestone piers with attached shafts to angles and hollow chamfers to sides. Moulded capitals framing heads and shields. Piers of limestone and double-chamfered arches and responds of ironstone. Perpendicular-style roof with arch-braced ties, and wall-posts on carved stone head corbels. Tall double-chamfered tower arch with polygonal responds innermost with moulded capitals and brattishing. Stain-glass windows to chancel south of 1887 and later stain-glass east window. Monuments: cross-legged knight believed to be Nicholas de Cogenhoe d.1281. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973; p152; VCH: Northamptonshire: Vol IV, pp237-239)

Listing NGR: SP8301961045

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235459
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 152
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 237-239

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 06 Aug 2003
Reference: IOE01/11077/25
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Roger Ashley. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].