CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041584
Date first listed:
03-May-1968
Date of most recent amendment:
06-Sep-1988
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH, CHURCH HILL

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041584.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Feb-2020 at 10:11:53.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST MARGARET OF ANTIOCH, CHURCH HILL

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
Northamptonshire
District:
South Northamptonshire (District Authority)
Parish:
Denton
National Grid Reference:
SP 83796 57983

Details

DENTON CHURCH HILL SP8357 (West side) 16/83 Church of St. Margaret of 03/05/68 Antioch (Formerly listed as Church of St. Margaret)

GV II*

Church. C13 rebuilt early C17 and again in 1827-8 by Charles Squarhill. Chancel, vestry, store, nave, south porch and west tower. Coursed squared limestone and ironstone, slate roofs. Chancel is flanked by vestry to north and store to south. Vestry has two lancet windows to north and ironstone quoins. Store, said to have originally been an anchoress's cell, has plank door to south-east with chamfered round-headed stone surround and lunette to south-west with chamfered head. South wall of chancel within store has blocked door to south-east, square hood mould and hollow-chamfered string course or original stone eaves cornice. Chancel has datestone inscribed 1629 above 3-light east window with chamfered ironstone surround, pointed head and cast-iron intersecting tracery. Similar windows to 3-bay nave north and south. Similar heads and tracery to pointed lunette windows to west end of nave, left and right of tower. Pointed, chamfered north doorway and 8-panel door with moulded wood surround. Inscription above recording repair of church in 1827. South doorway has single-stepped pointed head, imposts and hood mould, probably C13, and 6-panel door. South porch has stepped and hollow-chamfered doorway with hood mould, small niche above, hollow-chamfered stone eaves and stone-coped gable with kneelers. Small 3-stage tower has lancet window to bottom stage west with hood mould. Large 12-sided cast-iron clock dial above and small lancets to middle stage. 2-light bell-chamber openings with enriched cast-iron Y-tracery,. Battlemented parapet with cast-iron corner pinnacles and ogee lead roof with ball finial and weather-vane. Tower has low off-set diagonal buttresses. Nave has off-set buttresses between bays, off-set diagonal buttresses and deep coved plastered eaves. Stonework of nave is banded with ironstone. Nave and chancel have stone-coped gables. Interior: chancel has mid C19 stone reredos with Creed, Lords Prayer and Commandments, light timber triple-arched sanctuary screen with painted architectural decoration and double-chamfered chancel arch, chamfer continuous outermost, polygonal responds innermost. Nave has plaster ceiling with deep cove. West gallery on square fluted timber piers with panelled front. Royal Arms of George IV to central panel; oil on board. West wall has polygonal responds of former aisle arcades removed in 1827 rebuilding. Tower arch, visible within tower, has massive chamfered arch on corbels. Mural scheme of 1976, devised by Reverend Eltoft, by William Bird with scenes from the Bible, the lives of saints and village history with foliage backgrounds evoking the months of the year. Font, probably early C17, with low octagonal many-moulded stem and circular bowl with cross patterns. Monument on south wall of chancel set up by Reverend David Owen d.1619 with slate inscription panel in moulded stone surround. Latin inscription commemorating benefactions of William Andrewe and the setting aside of part of the chancel for the burial of him and his heirs. Church was originally a chapel-of-ease of Yardley Hastings. (Buildings of England: Northamptonshire: 1973, p183; VCH: Northanptonshire: Vol IV, 1937, p247)

Listing NGR: SP8379657983

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
235483
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire, (1973), 183
Ryland, W, Adkins, D, Sejeantson, R, The Victoria History of the County of Northampton, (1937), 247

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jan 2002
Reference: IOE01/04512/01
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Derek E. Wharton. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].