CHURCH OF ST JAMES

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041723
Date first listed:
31-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MIDDLE ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST JAMES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041723.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 02:57:30.

Location

Statutory Address:
CHURCH OF ST JAMES, MIDDLE ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Shilbottle
National Grid Reference:
NU 19592 08729

Details

NU 10 NE SHILBOTTLE MIDDLE ROAD (North side)

9/224 Church of St. James 31.12.69 GV II*

Parish Church, 1884 by W.S. Hicks, re-using some features from C12 predecessor. Snecked tooled stone with ashlar dressings; roof of sythnethic stone tiles. Aisleless cruciform plan with south porch, central tower, organ chamber in north transept and north vestry. Free C14 style.

Chamfered plinth, moulded sill string and chamfered eaves cornice. West end shows 4-light window with traceried square window above, and stepped diagonal buttresses. South porch has moulded arch with hoodmould under carved and inscribed cornice, with foliage bosses at angles, and embattled parapet; 2-light mullioned window on each return. Inside stone benches, coffered ceiling with carved bosses and re-set pre-1884 south doorway; door, with patterned hinges and centre strap, in chamfered basket-arched opening within larger C12 doorway with roll-moulded segmental arch on shafts with cushion caps; billet hood. To east of porch three 2-light windows; one similar window on north, to east of 2 re-set C12 round-headed loops. South transept has stepped set-back buttresses, boarded door in moulded arch on west, 3-light window and gable slit on south, and 2-light window on east. Central tower has set-back buttresses; ringing chamber has 2-light window on south and slits; moulded string above, gabled up over clock face on south; 2-light slatted belfry openings; cornice with square-flower pattern below embattled parapet. Taller octagonal south-east stair turret with boarded door, in moulded arch, and slit windows. Chancel has two 2-light windows on south; east end has 3-light window above carved cusped panels with badge of St. James and sacred monograms; cruciform loop in gable. Pent linked vestry and organ chamber have 2- and 3-light mullioned windows. Gables have moulded copings and finial crosses; ornamental rainwater heads dated 1884.

Interior: Crossing has multi-chamfered arches with moulded imposts and bases, except for north arch (to organ chamber) which is re-set C12 chancel arch of two square orders, with chamfered hood and imposts. Nave has panelled dado, with brattished top rail, and contemporary pewing; west bay has carved screen with leaded glazing. Boarded wagon roof with bosses, and carved wall-plate. South transept has similar dado and roof with gilded bosses. Crossing has panelled wood lierne vault with carved bosses; pulpit, choir stalls and organ front all good-quality contemporary work. Chancel has carved panelling and altar rails; elaborate wagon roof with carved wall-plate and bosses. Marble- tiled sanctuary. One south transept window (Baptism of Christ) by Kempe. Late C17 armorial ledger stones to L'Isle and Strother families in chancel; C19 wall tablets to Widdringtons in transept.



Listing NGR: NU1959208729

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
237115
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 19 Jul 2006
Reference: IOE01/15753/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Keith Ascough. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].