CRASTER TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1041813
Date first listed:
10-Jan-1953
Statutory Address:
CRASTER TOWER

Map

Ordnance survey map of CRASTER TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041813.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2019 at 03:22:40.

Location

Statutory Address:
CRASTER TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Craster
National Grid Reference:
NU2511219575

Details

NU 21 NE 6/39 10.1.53

CRASTER CRASTER TOWER

Craster Tower

GV II*

Country house incorporating medieval tower. Tower probably C14. House 1769, perhaps by William Newton; east wing C19. Tower large squared stone; 1769 block has south front of squared whinstone with tooled sandstone ashlar quoins and dressings, east elevation of squared stone and west end rendered. East wing rendered with cut sandstone quoins and dressings. Graduated Lakeland slate roof on 1769 part, Scottish slates on east wing; flat roof of tower not seen. L-plan with rectangular tower at junction of 1769 south block and east wing.

South front 3 storeys, 2 + 1 + 2 bays, symmetrical. Plinth, 1st-floor and 1st floor sill bands. Rusticated quoins. Central tripartite Tuscan doorway has fielded-panel door under radial fanlight, between pilasters carrying open pediment; flanking 3-pane casements. 12-pane sash windows to lower floors; those on 1st floor corniced and centre pedimented. Lower eaves cornice with central pediment, open except for detached section of cornice above central 2nd floor window. Hipped roof with 2 ridge stacks, rendered on stone bases. Set back to right is 3-storey 4-bay east wing with raised quoins; 12- and 16- pane sashes in raised stone surrounds; coped right end gable; stepped-and- corniced ridge and right end stacks.

West front in two parts. Right 3-storey 4-bay 1769 block: ground floor sill band; 12-pane sashes to lower floors and 9-pane sashes above. Left taller 3-storey tower: large chamfered plinth. 1st and 2nd floors have tripartite windows, small-paned sashes with intersecting heads under pointed arches, with raised moulded surrounds and sills. Moulded string below embattled parapet.

East elevation of 1769 block shows C19 canted ashlar bay with 12-pane sashes, moulded cornice and parapet; 12- and 6-pane sashes in raised stone surrounds above.

North (entrance) front: Left east wing, with lower floors set forward under separate pent roof. Right end shallow porch with tripartite Gothick doorway; vertical-panelled door flanked by 2-pane casements. Quatrefoil window above and gable with moulded coping and kneelers. 4-pane sashes, except for another quatrefoil at 1st-floor level to left of porch. Tower to right has C20 opening on ground floor only.

Interior not seen. Tower retains barrel-vaulted basements.

Listing NGR: NU2511219575

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
236930
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 04 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/01417/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].