Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:


Ordnance survey map of EGLINGHAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041971.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 13-Nov-2019 at 22:13:54.


Statutory Address:

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
National Grid Reference:
NU 10424 19540


EGLINGHAM EGLINGHAM VILLAGE NU 1019 (South side) 19/164 Eglingham Hall 10.1.53 GV II*

Country House. West wing C16 or C17; main block probably 1728 (dated on rainwater head), perhaps by William Etty, for Robert Ogle. Alterations and heightening of west wing c.1780. West wing extended to north 1890; East (entrance) wing 1903 by Temple Wilson for Thomas Milvain.

Main block and 1903 wing tooled stone with ashlar plinth, dressings and rusticated quoins; west wing large squared stone and rubble. Lakeland slate roof. East wing in Baroque style.

South front 2 storeys, 2 + 3 + 2 bays, symmetrical, the end parts slightly projecting. Plinth. 8 steps up to central half-glazed double doors under radial fanlight, in archivoit with imposts and keystone, within rusticated pilasters and moulded cornice. 18-pane sash windows in architraves with triple keystones and slightly-projecting sills. Moulded cornice and corniced parapet. Hipped roof; 4 stepped-and-corniced ridge and end stacks. Set back to left, end of west wing, 3 narrow bays; central studded door and small-paned sash windows, the lower openings under timber lintels. Eaves cornice, arched roof dormer. Coped left gable on moulded kneelers; old brick left end stack.

Entrance (east) front: Main block 3 bays, with 18-pane sashes; set back on right lower 1903 wing of 2 wide bays, the first with panelled double doors in surround modelled on that in the south front,the second with projecting 2- window bay. 12-pane sashes, detail otherwise as south front.

West elevation: West wing, 2 + 2 + 3 bays, irregular. Scattered fenestration. Taller right part is C16/17 building with remains of original chamfered openings; centre and left parts have flat-topped half dormers; windows mostly 12-pane sashes.

Venetian rear stair window; west wing shows vertical-panelled door in re-cut raised surround dated 1709.

Interior: Anthemion cornice of c.1780 in hall. Dining room panelling and chimneypiece in C18 style flanked by giant Ionic fluted pilasters; stone fireplace with Rococo carving. Early C20 library with panelled plaster ceiling, stone fireplace carved with intertwined dragons and panelling brought from Morwick Hall. Imperial stair of c.1780 with carved newels, moulded ramped handrail and wrought-iron balusters. Bedroom above dining room has chimneypiece flanked by giant Doric fluted pilasters. Oak Hall in west wing has C17 panelling, partly re-set, and fireplace.

Design thought to be influenced by Vanbrugh's Seaton Delaval, for which William Etty was job architect; but William Wakefield has also been suggested as architect for Eglingham.

G. Jackson-Stops, 'Eglingham Hall', Country Life, Vol. CLVIII, 1458-1461 (22 Nov. 1975).

Listing NGR: NU1042419540


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


Books and journals
'Country Life' in 22 November, , Vol. 158, (1975), 1458-1461


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 11 Aug 2000
Reference: IOE01/00062/16
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Peter Oakley Clarke. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].