This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.


List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.


List entry Number: 1041990



The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.


District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Edlingham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 31-Dec-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 236453

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


EDLINGHAM EDLINGHAM VILLAGE NU 10 NW 14/114 Church of St. John the Baptist 31.12.69 GV I

Parish Church. Nave probably mid-C11, partly rebuilt early C12; chancel later C12; north arcade c.1190; tower c.1300; C14 south window and tomb recess in nave; north aisle rebuilt C15; south porch probably C17; various C18 sash windows, with wood tracery inserted at 1902 restoration; C19 vestry and 1864 east window.

Nave large roughly-squared stone with south-west quoins (perhaps re-used grave stones) up to 2 metres long; other parts squared stone; cut dressings. Low- pitched felted roofs to nave and chancel; other roofs Welsh slate. West tower; nave with north aisle and vestry, south porch; chancel.

3-stage west tower has stepped chamfered plinth, band above plinth, and chamfered set-back below squat belfry. Lower stage has small rebated lancet on south only, the upper stages slatted chamfered loops except on east, which shows weathering of old high-pitched roof. Low pyramidal roof. Gabled south porch with chamfered plinth; round arch with keystone and chamfered imposts, below small square window flanked by re-set head corbels. Stone benches and barrel vault springing from chamfered band. C12 doorway has round arch with bold roll moulding and billet hood, on jamb shafts with block capitals and moulded bases; within arch is C17 doorway with flat-pointed head and sunk spandrels, and vertical-panelled door. Above porch a chamfered loop; to either side square-headed C18 windows and further east a pointed double- chamfered C14 window arch, all with later wood tracery. North aisle has blocked north door with chamfered pointed arch; and square-headed east window.

Chancel has C18 south window with pointed arch and raised stone surround; and large Romanesque-style east window with round arch, zigzag, and jamb shafts.

Interior: Plastered. 4-bay north arcade of round arches with chamfered inner and square outer orders. Round piers and semicircular responds have moulded capitals with vertical lines of nail-head to imitate scallops, and moulded bases with nail-head. Round C12 chancel arch, stepped towards nave, on chamfered imposts carried back along east wall of nave; low stone screen has central opening with chamfered and rebated jambs. South wall of nave shows segmental-arched tomb recess, holding pre-Conquest cross fragment with vinescroll and C14 cross slab, and remains of several blocked windows. C11 west front, now within tower, shows centre door with slightly-recessed semicircular tympanum, mutilated round-headed window above and circular opening in apex of former gable. In north aisle a chamfered band below east window; and rear arch of C12 west window above vestry door. Chancel has small piscina with pointed moulded arch, and pointed recess further west.

Chancel roof has later boarding on grid of stop-chamfered tie-beams and longitudinal members, probably C17. Early C20 tie-beam roof to nave. Fittings mostly of similar date, except for balustraded communion rails of 1726. Octagonal medieval font (inscribed '1701') on circular stepped base. Cll/C12 cross slab in aisle and C14 slab as threshold to south door. C18 wall monuments and hatchments at west end of nave and east end of chancel; 1723 ledger stone just inside south door. East window glass, 'The Sea Gave up the Dead which were in it' to Lewis de Crespigny Buckle, who perished on the S.S. Nemesis.

Listing NGR: NU1144109122

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NU1144109122


© Crown Copyright and database right 2017. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2017. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1041990 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Sep-2017 at 02:23:49.

End of official listing