COCKLE PARK TOWER

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1042088
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
COCKLE PARK TOWER

Map

Ordnance survey map of COCKLE PARK TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2020. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2020. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042088.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 05-Jun-2020 at 11:27:28.

Location

Statutory Address:
COCKLE PARK TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Hebron
National Grid Reference:
NZ 20089 91157

Details

HEBRON COCKLE PARK NZ 29 SW NZ 201912 7/65 Cockle Park Tower I Tower house, early C16 altered C17 and refenestrated c.1790. Squared stone with dressings; stone flag roof. L-plan with stair turret projecting at north end of east face and C17 stair projection in centre of west wall. 3 storeys + attic; north end, including turret, has chamfered plinth and set-back 1st floor, machicolated parapet on north and corbelled-out circular bartizans at northern angles. East elevation 3 bays; turret set forward to right has eroded armorial panel (Bertram quartering Ogle) and 3 worn carved emblems above, with small window and chamfered loops. Section to left has part-glazed door in 2nd bay and sash windows of 8, 12 or 24 panes; all in Gothick surrounds with 4-centred arches and hoodmoulds. North elevation has chamfered loops; gable with partly-blocked 2-light window behind parapet. South elevation: French window and 24-pane sashes, all in Gothick surrounds within the jambs of blocked C17 windows; coped gable with blocked 2-light mullioned window to attic. West elevation 3 bays. Central projection has boarded door and two 2-light mullioned windows above, the lower blocked. To left external stair to inserted boarded door breaking 1st floor set back, right hand part of wall above rebuilt 1828, replacing solar oriel, with 12-pane sash and old moulded overmantel re-set above. To right of projection blocked 3-light mullion-and-transom windows with hoodmoulds.

Interior. Divided into 2 dwellings by a brick partition wall in C18; the southern 2 bays completely remodelled. North end of tower retains barrel vaults to ground floor and mural chambers, stone newel stair, ground and 1st floor fireplaces and a well-preserved 2nd-floor garderobe. The southern rooms show C18 doors, panelled shutters and fireplaces. Attic floor removed; roof with 5 C17 collared principal-rafter trusses.

The tower is thought to have been built c.1520 for Sir William, 4th Lord Ogle, passing to the Bothal Estates whose later owners became Dukes of Portland. In the Cl9 it became the centre of the Duke's experimental farm. Under restoration at time of resurvey.

Articles by R. Bibby in Northumbriana, 11-15 (1977-1979).

Listing NGR: NZ2008991157

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238298
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Northumbriana' in Northumbriana, (1978)
'Northumbriana' in Northumbriana, (1977)
'Northumbriana' in Northumbriana, (1979)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 20 Jun 2005
Reference: IOE01/13482/03
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr John Hogg. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].

Back
to top