HORSLEY TOWER AND ADJACENT OUTBUILDING

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1042097
Date first listed:
30-Jan-1986
Statutory Address:
HORSLEY TOWER AND ADJACENT OUTBUILDING

Map

Ordnance survey map of HORSLEY TOWER AND ADJACENT OUTBUILDING
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042097.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Nov-2019 at 17:07:00.

Location

Statutory Address:
HORSLEY TOWER AND ADJACENT OUTBUILDING

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Longhorsley
National Grid Reference:
NZ 14625 94646

Details

LONGHORSLEY LONGHORSLEY NZ 19 SW 5/86 Horsley Tower and adjacent outbuilding II* GV Towerhouse, probably early C16; north wing mid-C17, some restoration c.1930. Coursed squared stone with dressings; slate roof, except for pantiles on outbuilding; L-plan, South front 4 storeys, irregular fenestration. Original square-headed chamfered doorway now blocked and C20 window inserted. C20 door to left. 3-light window above and pair of 2-light windows on 2nd floor are C20 except for hoodmould of former. Other windows mostly old, some with hoodmoulds; narrow loops to right for newel stair. Crenellated parapet above cut-back string course, stair turret rising slightly higher; hipped roof. 1-storey outbuilding to left has lean-to roof with crow-stepped coping.

West elevation of wing 3 storeys, 2 narrow bays; projecting right bay has external stair to lst-floor door; left bay has boarded door in moulded flat- pointed surround; paired 8-pane sashes in architrave above. Right return shows varied fenestration including old barred 4-pane casement; at right windows in architraves. Rear elevation:gable end of wing has irregular projecting stack with 2nd-floor 2-light window in raised moulded surround, to right.

Interior: barrel-vaulted ground floor with separate vaulted chambers to east, former entrance lobby on south to stone newel stair at south-east angle. 1st floor has original fireplace with lintel on moulded corbels and segmental relieving arch above; chamfered segmental rear arches to some windows. Early C18 panelling on 2nd floor.

The tower, built by the Horsley family, passed c.1685 to the Widdringtons and c.1763 to the Riddells, Roman Catholic families who converted the top floor into a chapel, which remained in use until the present Catholic Church (q.v.) was built in 1841.

Articles by R. Bibby in Northumbriana 16-19 (1979/80)

Listing NGR: NZ1462594646

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238319
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Northumbriana' in Northumbriana, (1979)
'Northumbriana' in Northumbriana, (1980)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 26 Oct 2004
Reference: IOE01/12166/07
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Gordon Dixon. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].