This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

LADY WATERFORD HALL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: LADY WATERFORD HALL

List entry Number: 1042153

Location

LADY WATERFORD HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Ford

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 10-Mar-1988

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238070

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FORD FORD VILLAGE NT 9437 17/103 Lady Waterford Hall GV II*

Former village school. 1860 for the Marchioness of Waterford. Snecked stone with ashlar dressings. Roof has bands of Lakeland and Welsh slate roof. Tudor style. Single storey, 6 bays. Outer bays have boarded doors in flat-topped porches with corbel tables. Bays 2 and 5 each have 2 widely-spaced narrow side lights with 4-pane sashes in chamfered surrounds under floating cornices. The 2 centre bays have similar 4-light windows. Corbel table. Over bays 2 and 5 very high and very steeply-pitched gables with overlapping coping and tall corbelled-out octagonal corniced chimneys at the apex. In each gable an oval panel in moulded frame bearing a crown and the monogram of the Marchioness of Waterford. Very high, steeply-pitched gabled roof with overlapping coping.

Interior: the main hall was decorated from 1861-83 by the Marchioness with a series of paintings, done on paper and stuck to the wall, like murals, in the Pre-Raphaelite style. On the north wall 9 panels with biblical scenes in arched surrounds with texts; in the spandrels roundels with portrait heads; the spaces between have foliage and naturalistic detail. The east wall has a large "Jesus in the midst of the doctors", the west wall a large illustration of the text "Suffer little children to come unto me".

9-bay roof with moulded scissor braces.

All the figues used are portraits of village people and castle servants.

Hastings Neville: Under a Border Tower: Newcastle: 1896.

Listing NGR: NT9471337597

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Hastings, N, Under A Border Tower, (1896)

National Grid Reference: NT 94713 37597

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042153 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2018 at 08:51:24.

End of official listing