TWIZELL CASTLE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1042168
Date first listed:
22-Dec-1969
Statutory Address:
TWIZELL CASTLE, A698

Map

Ordnance survey map of TWIZELL CASTLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042168.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 05:49:36.

Location

Statutory Address:
TWIZELL CASTLE, A698

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Duddo
National Grid Reference:
NT 88298 43407

Details

DUDDO A 698 NT 84 SE (North side, off) 4/47 Twizell Castle 22.12.69 II*

Ruined house. Begun c.1770 by and for Sir Francis Blake with the assistance of Nisbet of Kelso, but incorporating some of the masonry of a medieval castle.

Ashlar and squared stone; roofless. Gothick style. Rectangular with 4 round corner towers. Two storeys, though the house was originally five storeys high. Seven bays. Pointed windows with brick arches, the central window in a semicircular projection. Much taller pointed windows on 1st floor. On returns large blank quatrefoils.

The original north wall, between the towers, has gone. The present north wall was formerly internal and is partly medieval with openings of the C18 and blocked earlier openings including large segmental arches and a 2-light mullioned window. This wall is c.70 inches thick.

Interior: the ground floor has 4 large vaulted rooms along the south front. Three are tunnel vaults, the fourth, behind the central bow has a central groin vault with 2 flanking tunnel vaults. All of these are in fine ashlar. The west vault has holes for a timber floor. The angle towers were also vaulted on ground floor; of these the south-west tower has a shallow stone dome and the south-east tower a brick dome. In the north towers only the springing of the vaults remain. There are also 2 corridors with pointed brick tunnel vaults and two small rooms whose vaults have collapsed. On the present north wall the springing of a groin vault can be seen at lst-floor level.

Building on the house was continued for almost 50 years and never completed. The house was to be vaulted throughout as a precaution against fire.

Mackenzie: History of Northumberland: Newcastle: 1825. Proceedings of the Society of Antiquities 2nd Series Vol. IV for the reference to Nisbet in a letter from Ford Castle.

Listing NGR: NT8829843407

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
238015
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Mackenzie, E , View of the County of Northumberland, (1825)
'Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London' in Journal of the Society of Antiquaries of London, , Vol. 4, ()
'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries Second Series' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries Second Series, , Vol. 4, ()

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 21 Aug 1999
Reference: IOE01/00830/08
Rights: Copyright IoE Dr Edward Salthouse. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].