This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

NUMBERS 1-7 (CONSECUTIVE) EAST MILL

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: NUMBERS 1-7 (CONSECUTIVE) EAST MILL

List entry Number: 1042753

Location

NUMBERS 1-7 (CONSECUTIVE) EAST MILL, WHORRAL BANK

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:

District: Northumberland

District Type: Unitary Authority

Parish: Morpeth

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 22-Aug-1986

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 238688

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 29/01/2015: Numbers 1-7 (consecutive) East Mill (Formerly listed as East Mill)

MORPETH A 197 NZ 2086 (South side)

23/354

II

Corn mill and miller's house, the mill now used as workshop. C18 water mill with earlier core, given engine and boilerhouse early C19. Extended as full power-driven mill 1892. House early C19. Ashlar with Welsh slate roofs. Brick chimneys. In 3 sections:

To west the original water mill. 4 storeys, 3 bays. On ground floor stable- type door with wood lintel dated 1798; to right the entry for the mill race. 1st and 2nd floor C20 door and windows in original openings. 3rd floor is C19 heightening and has 6-pane casements. Gabled roof; the rear pitch, which was not heightened has reverse-stepped gable;brick end stack. Attached to right a tall, square, brick engine-house chimney with single-storey engine house attached to right.

Centre section of 1892. 4 storeys, 4 bays with 16-pane casements divided by flat pilasters. Corbel table and flat roof.

To east the miller's house, formerly house, tack room and cottage. 3 storeys, 2 and 3 bays. Original house to right has central 6-panel door with 6-pane overlight and wooden hood on brackets. Canted bay window to left and 16-pane sash to right. 12-pane sashes above. Gabled roof with flat coping and end stacks. Cottage attached to left has broad doorway into former tackroom on left, and 12-pane sashes.

Rear of 1892 section has segmental-arched loading bay in 3rd bay. Inscribed on top floor "NEW PROCESS FLOUR MILLS 1892". Interior of C18 section has C17 doorway with Tudor-arched lintel, and 2 blocked C17 windows. Early C20 water wheel.

Listing NGR: NZ2057386426

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NZ 20573 86426

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042753 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Aug-2018 at 10:00:47.

End of official listing