Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: I

List Entry Number: 1042821

Date first listed: 27-Aug-1952

Statutory Address: SHORTFLATT TOWER


Ordnance survey map of SHORTFLATT TOWER
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042821 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jan-2019 at 00:03:10.


Statutory Address: SHORTFLATT TOWER

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Belsay

National Grid Reference: NZ 07937 80995


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.


Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.



4/70 Shortflatt Tower 27.8.52


House and tower. Licence to crenellate 1305 for Robert de Reynes, but most existing work is later. The tower seems late C15 or early C16, the attached house early C17 incorporating and re-using earlier masonry. Squared stone. Tower has stone slate roof, other parts Welsh slate.

3-storey tower; 2-storey house attached to east and 2 parallel wings running north from house.

South (garden) front: Tower, projecting on left, has chamfered plinth and irregularly-placed early C19 sashes. Inner return has Tudor-arched doorway, now a window; left half of lintel with relief carving of shield and panel, the right half uncarved. Hollow-chamfered base to battlemented parapet with stone water spouts. Steeply-pitched gabled roof with end stacks.

Attached house of 4 irregular bays has C18 12-pane sashes beneath early C17 string courses which rise above each window. Roof hipped on right. Enormous ridge stack between 3rd and 4th bays. Roof marks on stack reveal that the building was formerly 3 storeys (cf. interior).

North (entrance) side has C19 Tudor-style doorway into tower. Similar windows, several in double-chamfered surrounds. In tower one enlarged C16 window with chamfered surround and 3 blocked similar windows. North-east corner of tower has a small single-storey projection of older masonry with a double plinth.

Interior: tower has tunnel-vaulted ground floor; one jamb of a recently discovered (1985) large C16 or C17 fireplace on 1st floor; and a possibly re- set earlier medieval fireplace, with chamfered jambs and corbels supporting flat lintel, on the 2nd floor. Massive C16 roof timbers.

In the roof space of the adjoining wing a C16 or early C17 fireplace, also vestiges of plasterwork proving existence of former second floor. In the dining room a wood Rococo fire surround and contemporary Delft tiles. H. Honeyman considered the tower to be of 1305 but more recent information from Mrs. L. Milner (pers. comm.) suggest the later date.

An extremely picturesque house. Archaeologia Aeliana 4th Series XXXII, 1954, pp 126-159.

Listing NGR: NZ0793780995


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238556

Legacy System: LBS


Books and journals
'Archaeologia Aeliana' in Archaeologia Aeliana, , Vol. 32, (1954), 126-159

End of official listing