CHURCH OF ST GILES

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1042909

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1969

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST GILES
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1042909 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Jan-2019 at 17:28:17.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST GILES

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Netherwitton

National Grid Reference: NZ 10160 90410

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NETHERWITTON NETHERWITTON NZ 19 SW 17/134 Church of St. Giles 20.lO.69 II* Parish Church. Chancel perhaps C12 altered C15, nave rebuilt C18 and remodelled, with addition of vestry, 1886. Squared stone, roughly shaped in chancel, dressings; grey slate roof. Aisled 3-bay nave with south porch, chancel with vestry on north. C19 work in free C14/C15 style. West end has 3-light window with quatrefoil window over, flanked by stepped buttresses; C18 bellcote on coped gable has round-headed opening, with imposts, semicircular cap and rusticated obelisk finial. South nave wall has projecting porch with pointed double-chamfered arch; 3-light window to right. North wall has 2 3-light windows. South chancel wall shows inserted priest's door with flattened triangular head, in square chamfered surround, lintel dated 1691. Flanking C19 2-light windows. North wall has restored window. East end has C15 3-light window set high in the wall; trefoil-headed lights, the central under ogee head, within 4-centred arch with hoodmould. Raised armorial panels above, and to either side of head. C19 gable coping with finial cross.

Interior: double-chamfered 3-bay nave arcades of 1864. Medieval chancel arch, double-chamfered with chamfered hoodmould towards nave; inner order on semi- octagonal responds with restored capitals and bases. C19 4-centred vestry door, and an opening with timber lintel into organ chamber. Fittings mostly C19 and later, except C13 or C14 font with circular bowl, shaft and moulded base, on octagonal plinth. C14 female effigy, in 2 pieces but quite well preserved, on north of sanctuary; small C14 or C15 cross slab to south. Large C15 cross slab set in north wall of chancel, with armorial bearings. Set in east wall of vestry two C12 chevron voussoirs and C12/13 cross slab head. Late Georgian panelled dado in nave. Minton tiles in sanctuary.

Listing NGR: NZ1015990411

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 238367

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing