HERSTMONCEUX PLACE

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
I
List Entry Number:
1043172
Date first listed:
13-Oct-1952
Statutory Address:
HERSTMONCEUX PLACE, CHURCH ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of HERSTMONCEUX PLACE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043172 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2019 at 02:01:20.

Location

Statutory Address:
HERSTMONCEUX PLACE, CHURCH ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County:
East Sussex
District:
Wealden (District Authority)
Parish:
Herstmonceux
National Grid Reference:
TQ 63937 11082

Details

HERSTMONCEUX CHURCH ROAD 1. 5208 Herstmonceux Place (now flats) TQ 61 SW 13/411 13.10.52

I

2. The north-west front dates from the early C18. This has 3 storeys and 5 windows. Red brick and grey headers alternately. Parapet. Rubbed brick stringcourses and relieving arches to the windows which have flush wooden surrounds, stone keystones over and their glazing bars intact. The central portion projects and both this and the flanking sections are edged with long and short stone quoins. Central doorway up 4 steps with stone Ionic columns, a broken scroll pediment over and door of 6 fielded panels, flanked by narrow windows. On the first and second floors above this doorway is a round-headed window flanked by stone columns with a projecting cornice over and on each side of each such window is an empty round-headed stone niche. In 1777 the house was enlarged by Samuel Wyatt for the Reverand Robert Hare, (great grandfather of Augustus Hare), the bricks for the new portion being taken from Herstmonceux Castle. The north-east or entrance front was then remodelled and an L-portion added to the south-west making the present main or garden front. The Wyatt portion of the house has 2 storeys only. Red brick. Stone stringcourse and cornice. Brick parapet. Windows in shallow brick reveals with glazing bars intact. Between the ground and first floor windows are rectangular Coadeware plaques alternately of a shell between cornucopiae and of vases. The north-east front has 7 windows. The 3 centre window bays project with a pediment over and long and short stone quoins edging both this projection and the flanking portions. Central stuccoed porch at the head of 7 steps with a brick mounting block on each side of these. The south-east front has 10 windows. The recessed centre is flanked by large semi-circular curved bays of window each on both floors surmounted by leaded saucer domes. This front has similar Coadeware plaques but 4 of the 6 plaques on the curved bays are of cherub's heads set in a wreath. Further to the south-west is a ground floor later addition of 3 windows. Good staircase. From 1807-1819 the house was occupied by Thomas Read Kemp, the founder of Kemp Town, Brighton.

Listing NGR: TQ6393711082

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
295324
Legacy System:
LBS

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 23 Mar 2003
Reference: IOE01/05278/34
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Michael Nash. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].