MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL OF ALL SAINTS HOSPITAL

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1043617

Date first listed: 21-Nov-1978

Statutory Address: MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL OF ALL SAINTS HOSPITAL, DARLEY ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL OF ALL SAINTS HOSPITAL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1043617 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 17:42:12.

Location

Statutory Address: MAIN BLOCK AND CHAPEL OF ALL SAINTS HOSPITAL, DARLEY ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: East Sussex

District: Eastbourne (District Authority)

National Grid Reference: TV 60167 97444

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 10/01/2013

TV 69 NW 14/93 5203

DARLEY ROAD Main Block and Chapel of All Saints Hospital

II*

Built between 1867 and 1874 to the designs of Henry Woodyer. It was built as a convalescent hospital by the Anglican order of All Saints' Sisters of the Poor. Buildings form a roughly cruciform shape. 2 storeys and attics built of brown brick with stone dressings and tiled roof. Central portion of 4 bays with 2 wings each of 7 bays having buttresses, traceried windows and octagonal stair turrets.

Half-hipped dormers. Projecting wing attached to the centre of the south elevation has double or triple traceried heads and some diaper patterned black brickwork. Brick and stone 2 storied entrances set diagonally into angles between central projection and wings, having niches with statues of saints.

Front elevation of projections has arcading on ground floor and 5 bay arcaded balcony with quatrefoil balustrading to 1st floor.

The attached hospital chapel built in 1874 is apsidal-ended and has a bellcote. 6 bay nave with buttresses. It has a fine and complete High Victorian interior with polychromatic brickwork and encaustic tiled floors. The reredos behind the High Altar was painted by Julius Frank of Munich and some of the stained glass is of C19 German provenance. The central east window is surrounded by stone figures of Saints in niches. Contemporary roof with scissor bracketing.

West gallery approached by a stone staircase outside the chapel used by the Sisters for the recitation of their "offices".

Listing NGR: TV6016797444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 293624

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing