The Old Stone House


Heritage Category:
Listed Building
List Entry Number:
Date first listed:
Statutory Address:
The Old Stone House, 40, Church Square


Ordnance survey map of The Old Stone House
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044296 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2019 at 22:40:10.


Statutory Address:
The Old Stone House, 40, Church Square

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

East Sussex
Rother (District Authority)
National Grid Reference:
TQ 92132 20237


TQ 9220 1/17

CHURCH SQUARE (South side) No 40 (The Old Stone House)

12.10.51. GV II This house comprises the west wing of the premises occupied by the Friars of the Sack, built in 1263, dissolved in 1307 and burnt out by the French in 1377. It was largely modernized in 1869.

The walls are of rubble. The north front is gabled, with a buttress at its north east angle. It contains a C13 two-light window on the first floor, and a small C14 rectangular window on the ground floor, also an old, partly moulded, stringcourse. The other window and the doorway on this front are modern. The east wall is timber framed with brick infilling. In the centre is a slight projection containing a chimney of later date with a window in it on the ground floor level and a C16 stack above. The VCH says the house (old No 17) has a C14 roof and interior.

Nos 20 to 46 (even) and No 33 form a group with Nos 27 to 30 (consec) Watchbell Street.

Listing NGR: TQ9213420234


The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
Legacy System:


This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Jun 2001
Reference: IOE01/04066/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Clive Read. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].