Church of St Nicolas

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044371

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: Church of St Nicolas, High Street, Cranleigh, GU6 8AS

Map

Ordnance survey map of Church of St Nicolas
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044371 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Dec-2018 at 14:54:17.

Location

Statutory Address: Church of St Nicolas, High Street, Cranleigh, GU6 8AS

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Cranleigh

National Grid Reference: TQ 05986 39139

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 09/07/2018

TQ 03NE 6/71

CRANLEIGH CP HIGH STREET Church of St. Nicolas

(Formerly listed as Church of St. Nicholas)

9/3/60

II* Church. C12 core with later C12 aisles, C14 tower to west and chancel to east, restored in 1845 by William Butterfield and south porch added in 1862. Carstone and ironstone blocks with some coursed Bargate stone on transept, Bargate and clunch dressings with some Bathstone dressings to upper part of tower. Horsham slab pentice roof to south and on nave. Shingled pyramidal roof on west tower with raised ridge and gablets.

Cruciform plan with tower to west and porch to south. Square tower with quoined angles and offset string courses. Two-light, round arched louvred windows to upper stage and irregular "scaffold holes" with tile-on-edge filling on tower. Wooden diamond shaped clock face on south side over further lancet window, recut two-light, trefoil-head window to south side. Large three-light Decorated style window to west face in deep coved surround and under hood moulding, studded and strap-hinged door below. Former stair turret to north west angle. Two square headed, ogee traceried windows to north aisle, with buttresses to ends and centre. North transept window C19 Decorated style, inserted in 1862-66 when both transepts were lengthened and the vestry was added to north with battlemented parapets and ogee head lancet fenestration.

East end - Diagonal buttresses to ends. Five-light, leaded east window with banks of quatrefoil tracery above. South aisle: square headed, two-light, ogee arched windows. Timber framed gabled porch with braced arched entrance. Arcaded bargeboards with foliate decoration, six leaded arched windows to sides of porch over rendered plinth walls.

Interior: spacious, aisles open to nave in wide and open bays on round pier arcades with "crimped" decoration to arches and arches of crossings and doors. Half-octagonal pier responds to tower arch with chamfer and hood moulds. Braced tower posts visible inside. Chancel arch wide and high and to the west of it are the beginnings of another wide transverse arch, not continued and now capped by two early C20 statues, possibly the west arch of a former crossing although V.C.H. believed it to be former chancel arch superceded before completion. Main arch of north transept (Knoll Chapel) of two orders with moulded imposts. Arch of south transept with shafts of trefoil section and circular abaci and large floral corbels for multi-moulded ribbed arch to transept. Painted hammer-beam roof to chancel.

Fittings: triple sedilia on south wall with moulded arches on trefoiled inner order. Fine tabernacle and reredos either side of east window by William Butterfield with mosaic decoration, crocketed gables and tracery arcade above. One parclose screen in south transept. C14. Single panels with ogee tracery heads. Pulpit 1845. Octagonal and panelled on eight columns with ogee crocketed panels made up of remains from screen. Late C16 lectern on salamonic twist stand and strapwork base. Octagonal font.

Monuments: fragmentary brasses on north side of chancel. Rosa Chadwick Healey memorial. 1880. Elaborate brass with angel under Gothic Arch and wall paintings of St. Rosa and St. Tabitha. 1910 Art Nouveau niche memorial on east wall of north transept.

Listing NGR: TQ0598639139

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 291710

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Books and journals
Malden, H E, The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III, (1911), 86-92
Pevsner, N, Nairn, I Rev. by Cherry, The Buildings of England: Surrey, (1971), 173-4

End of official listing