CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044427

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1960

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, FRENSHAM STREET

Map

Ordnance survey map of CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044427 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 22:22:37.

Location

Statutory Address: CHURCH OF ST MARY THE VIRGIN, FRENSHAM STREET

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Frensham

National Grid Reference: SU 84191 41444

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SU 84SW FRENSHAM C.P. FRENSHAM STREET

3/41 Church of St Mary 9/3/60 the Virgin

II*

Church. C13, tower C14 restored in 1929 by W. Carõe, remainder of Church restored in 1868 by Hähn. Sandstone rubble, mortar rendered with older sandstone on tower, quoins to angles. Plain tiled roofs under ridge crest to chancel. Tower to west, nave and north aisle, chancel to east and large gabled porch to south. Short tower to west with large diagonal brick buttresses to west end. Two stages with parapet and 2- light, trefoil head window to each face of top stage, trefoil head lancet below. Large Perpendicular style window to west, over west doors in re-cut surround. Re-cut windows to south and east. Two higher windows to north under hood moulds. Gabled porch over plinth walls with cinquefoil lights and tile-hung, bargeboarded gable. Simple chamfered arched surround to south door with studded double door. Body stone with inscribed cross to corner of porch. Interior:- four bay nave arcade of round piers with wide, overhanging, naturalistically carved capitals by R. Hubbucle-: foliage and birds. Crown post roof to nave of 4 bays, cusped braced roof to chancel, panelled roof on north aisle. Two arched bays to north side of chancel. C19 chancel arch, C14/C15 tower arch with two octagonal half- responds and glazed screen across. Blocked door to south wall of chancel. Fittings:- arched piscina on south wall of chancel, square aumbry next to it. Remains of wall monument to north wall of chancel with two crocketed buttresses on multiple shafts below, now flanking North Chancel window. Pulpit:- C2O walnut with elaborate foliage carving. Square font on round central stem with detached angle shafts. Holy water stoup adjacent to south door.

Listing NGR: SU8419141444

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 291551

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing