THE SPINNING WHEEL (INCLUDING WING TO REAR)

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044671

Date first listed: 26-Apr-1950

Statutory Address: THE SPINNING WHEEL (INCLUDING WING TO REAR), 40, THE BOROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE SPINNING WHEEL (INCLUDING WING TO REAR)
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044671 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Nov-2018 at 16:05:01.

Location

Statutory Address: THE SPINNING WHEEL (INCLUDING WING TO REAR), 40, THE BOROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Surrey

District: Waverley (District Authority)

Parish: Farnham

National Grid Reference: SU 83980 46866

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 1099 THE BOROUGH (South East Side)

No 40 (The Spinning Wheel) (including wing to rear) SU 8346 NE 5/108 26.4.50.

II* GV

2. C16-17, 3 storey, on site of earlier building, part of this structure at back possibly dating from C14. A tall double-gabled front of timber-frame with curved braces arranged in patterns to outer panels of framing under each gable. Old tile roof projecting over moulded bargeboards to gables, Oversailing at 2nd floor level, with moulded beam across front supported on 3 carved wood brackets. 2 small 2-light leaded attic casements in gable heads. 2 rectangular bays, each 10-light mullioned and transomed, with moulded cills, transomes and heads with 2 bracket supports, each bay flanked by a pair of 2-light casements, forming a continuous window across front. All lights leaded. To right hand of centre on 1st floor a smaller and similar splayed bay flanked by small 3-light casements. Yard entry to left hand end modern shop on ground floor (C18 reproduction) with wide flat central bow flanked by glazed door to left hand and window on wall face to right hand. Long wing at back 2 storeys. Timber-frame with brick infilling and irregular lead casements and plain doors. The interior has been reconstructed with open balustraded galleries at floor levels to front part of building, which opens to roof in centre. At one time a post office used part of the building. For a short while after 1860 the Goats Head Inn was transferred here from corner of Castle Street. Originally was probably cloth merchants house. Restoration carried out by H Falkner under patronage of C E Borelli.

The Borough front of the Bush Hotel and Nos 29 to 44 (consec) form a group.



Listing NGR: SU8398346859

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 290818

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing