THE HERMITAGE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044816

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Statutory Address: THE HERMITAGE, ACOMB

Map

Ordnance survey map of THE HERMITAGE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044816 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2018 at 11:38:57.

Location

Statutory Address: THE HERMITAGE, ACOMB

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Acomb

National Grid Reference: NY 93640 65168

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 9365 20/25

ACOMB THE HERMITAGE The Hermitage

20.10.52

II* Country House. South wing rebuilt for Michael Coatsworth (owner 1741-1754), remainder for Mr. Jurin in 1760's, some earlier fabric being incorporated. Entrance block, east bay of south wing and some internal remodelling c.1890. South front tooled-and-margined ashlar, other parts rubble or roughly-squared stone with cut dressings (part of north-east wing brick-faced towards garden), C19 parts ashlar; Lakeland slate roofs. C18 house H plan, infilled on west by C19 entrance block; minor C18 and C19 additions to north.

South front 2 storeys, 7 + 1 bays. 3-stepped base, plinth, 1st floor and 1st floor sill bands, modillion eaves cornice, balustraded parapet. 7-bay part symmetrical. Projecting open-pedimented 3-bay centre has part-glazed door in eared architrave with frieze and cornice. Plate-glass sashes to ground floor, with 12-pane sashes above,1st floor with cornices on consoles and pedimented in centre. Diocletian window in keyed architrave above. Right, slightly set back C19 bay in same style has full-height canted bay facing east. Hipped roof; 2 tall stepped ridge stacks with panelled shafts and modillion cornices.

West (entrance) front has C19 projecting 2-bay centre, with similar details: right bay has 2-bay loggia with balustrade continued around forecourt; plate-glass sash to left, renewed 12-pane sashes above. East (garden) front has recessed centre with steps up to glazed double doors in late C19 pedimented doorcase with lunette above. 12-pane sash windows in raised moulded surrounds to right and in wing to right.

Interior: Early C19 dining room and library; late C19 drawing room with elaborately-carved coffered ceiling. Morning room has early C18 fireplace with deep bolection moulding. Kitchen has fireplace flanked by segmental arches with rusticated surrounds, and old charcoal-burning oven. Cellars beneath north-east wing have segmental brick vaults, except for one stone-vaulted chamber with blocked openings behind brick wine bins.Mid-C18 open-well stair with swept, moulded and wreathed handrail, turned balusters with faceted band below the knops, and curtail. Similar balustrades to closed-string servants' stair. Rococo fireplace in one bedroom and Chinese hand-painted wallpaper in another.

The house takes its name from being the reputed site of the C7 hermitage of St. John of Beverley. A medieval house, the 'Armytage', is recorded in 1496.

Listing NGR: NY9364065168

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239785

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing