SWINBURNE CASTLE AND ATTACHED STABLE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II*

List Entry Number: 1044905

Date first listed: 20-Oct-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 05-Sep-1985

Statutory Address: SWINBURNE CASTLE AND ATTACHED STABLE

Map

Ordnance survey map of SWINBURNE CASTLE AND ATTACHED STABLE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044905 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Nov-2018 at 21:59:49.

Location

Statutory Address: SWINBURNE CASTLE AND ATTACHED STABLE

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Chollerton

National Grid Reference: NY 93442 75354

Summary

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 97 NW CHOLLERTON GREAT SWINBURNE

460/10/52 Swinburne Castle and attached stable 20.10.1952

GV II*

West wing and attached stable of country house, now partly empty and partly farm storage. Late C16, early C17, stable early C18. Random rubble with Welsh slate roof. L-shaped. 2 storeys. House part is nine bays on 1st floor with 12-pane sashes in C17 double-chamfered surrounds under hoodmoulds. Marks visible of former mullion-and-transom crosses. Ground floor has 2 blocked brick tunnel vaults on left then one 8-pane sash window with thick glazing bars in double-chamfered surround. An original surround on right now has )-slatted window. Other windows are 16-pane sashes in early C19 chamfered surrounds. Steeply-pitched roof, hipped on left and gabled on right. Rear very irregular with varied sashes, some under hoodmoulds; 2 first floor doorways with hoodmoulds and 2 large external stacks. Left return was part of mid C18 house. Ashlar, l-bay with rusticated quoins and 12-pane sashes in blind round arch. Right return has 2-light mullioned window in gable. R Attached projecting 2-storey stable dated T M over blocked central door with 17 28

large chamfered lintel and alternating jambs. Similar doorway to right and 5 small windows to each floor, with heavy chamfered surrounds and holes for iron bars. Gabled roof with kneelers and flat coping. Former 2-light window on right return now has elaborate coat of arms. Large circular pitching eye to rear. INTERIOR has large C18 stone kitchen fireplace with fragments of C19 iron range and another brick C18 fireplace. Late C17 wooden dog-leg staircase in rear wing and mid C18 stone cantilevered staircase with plain stick balusters and moulded handrail. Southern first floor room has good C18 staircase. Other upper floor rooms contain C18 fireplaces, shutters and moulded wooden window surrounds. Main part of C18 house which linked this range with orangery (q.v.) has been demolished.









Listing NGR: NY9344275354

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239587

Legacy System: LBS

End of official listing