WYLAM HALL

Overview

Heritage Category:
Listed Building
Grade:
II*
List Entry Number:
1044924
Date first listed:
07-Mar-1985
Statutory Address:
WYLAM HALL, OVINGHAM ROAD

Map

Ordnance survey map of WYLAM HALL
© Crown Copyright and database right 2019. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2019. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1044924.pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Nov-2019 at 23:55:31.

Location

Statutory Address:
WYLAM HALL, OVINGHAM ROAD

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District:
Northumberland (Unitary Authority)
Parish:
Wylam
National Grid Reference:
NZ 11129 64622

Details

NZ 16 SW WYLAM OVINGHAM ROAD

19/154 Wylam Hall

II*



House, now subdivided into 3 apartments. C15 altered in C18 and several periods up to late C19. Older parts random rubble, late C19 parts ashlar. Welsh slate roofs. Rambling irregular plan. Garden front has doorway with bolection- moulded eared surround, cornice and pulvinated frieze on stone consoles, and swan-neck pediment. C20 French window to right. Small C15 window to left. On 1st floor 4 renewed 12-pane sashes in architraves with moulded sills and wedge lintels, above architraves grooved in imitation of voussoirs. Left of this the stump of a demolished wing, and left again the Victorian addition with projecting chimney and 2-light mullioned windows. Rear of this block has pointed- arch staircase window with intersecting glazing bars. Rear wings have various windows C17 - C20.

Gabled roofs. C15 block has flat coping with kneelers; and C17 finials with roll moulding and obelisks on right gable. One stone gable stack, one tall brick chimney and many C19 brick stacks.

Interior of C15 block has walls 5 - 6 feet thick and a tunnel-vaulted ground floor 62 feet long with a mural chamber on south side. Ceiling of vault given plaster rib vault with, in parts, triple shafted pilasters and Gothick capitals; probably c1820 and altered later. Circular iron Gothick staircase with pointed arches between square balusters, also c1820.

Attached to rear of C15 block is arcade of four C17/early C18 round brick arches.

House belonged to Tynemouth Priory C12 - C15. The drive was used by George Stephenson for early experiments in making steam engines run uphill without rack and pinion.

Newcastle upon Tyne Society of Antiquaries: Feb. 1914.

Listing NGR: NZ1112964622

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number:
239527
Legacy System:
LBS

Sources

Books and journals
'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle Upon Tyne' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle Upon Tyne, (1914)
'Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle Upon Tyne' in Proceedings of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle Upon Tyne, (1914)

Legal

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

End of official listing

Images of England

Images of England was a photographic record of every listed building in England, created as a snap shot of listed buildings at the turn of the millennium. These photographs of the exterior of listed buildings were taken by volunteers between 1999 and 2008. The project was supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund.

Date: 03 Sep 2004
Reference: IOE01/12987/28
Rights: Copyright IoE Mr Bob Cottrell. Source Historic England Archive
Archive image, may not represent current condition of site.
To view this image please use Firefox, Chrome, Safari, or Edge.

Your Contributions

Do you know more about this entry?

The following information has been contributed by users volunteering for our Enriching The List project. For small corrections to the List Entry please see our Minor Amendments procedure.

The information and images below are the opinion of the contributor, are not part of the official entry and do not represent the official position of Historic England. We have not checked that the contributions below are factually accurate. Please see our terms and conditions. If you wish to report an issue with a contribution or have a question please email [email protected].