WOMENS INSTITUTE

Overview

Heritage Category: Listed Building

Grade: II

List Entry Number: 1045014

Date first listed: 12-Feb-1985

Statutory Address: WOMENS INSTITUTE, NEWBROUGH

Map

Ordnance survey map of WOMENS INSTITUTE
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045014 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 12-Dec-2018 at 23:14:50.

Location

Statutory Address: WOMENS INSTITUTE, NEWBROUGH

The building or site itself may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

District: Northumberland (Unitary Authority)

Parish: Newbrough

National Grid Reference: NY 87418 67892

Summary

Mechanic’s Institute, 1854, enlarged 1890; later Women's Institute.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

The Newbrough Reading Room and Mutual Improvement Society (later known as the Mechanic’s Institute) was established in 1849. Having quickly outgrown their meeting room, a new building was erected in 1854, funded by public subscription. The building was subsequently enlarged by George J Cookson in 1890.

In 1948 it was gifted to the local Women’s Institute, along with a sum of £100 for decorating and renovation work. Newbrough Women’s Institute was founded in 1923 by over a hundred women from the village, and prior to acquiring the former mechanic’s Institute, they met in the adjacent town hall.

Details

Mechanic’s Institute, 1854, enlarged 1890; later Women's Institute.

Materials: tooled squared stone and tooled and margined raised quoins; slate roof, coped gables with kneelers, tooled and margined ashlar stepped and corniced stacks.

Two storeys and four bays beneath a pitched roof. The three ground floor windows have raised stone surrounds with broad chamfers, and there is an entrance in a similar surround to the right, fitted with a six-panelled door. The three first floor windows are similar, and there is a smaller round-headed stair window to the right. Between the ground and first floor windows are inscribed panels 'The Women's' and 'Institute' flanking a framed tablet with the inscription: 'ESTABLISHED 1848 ERECTED BY SUBSCRIPTION 1854 AND ENLARGED BY GEORGE J COOKSON 1890'

Included for historical interest.

Legacy

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System number: 239342

Legacy System: LBS

Sources

Other
History, topography, and directory of Northumberland, comprising a general survey of the country, and history of the town and county of Newcastle-upon-Tyne, London; Manchester, 1855.
Northumberland Federation of Women’s Institutes (1994)
Northumberland Village Book (Villages of Britain), Countryside Books

End of official listing