This browser is not fully supported by Historic England. Please update your browser to the latest version so that you get the best from our website.

THE SEBASTOPOL CANNON INCLUDNG LAMP ARCH, SUPPORTING PLINTH AND IRON POSTS WITH CHAINS SURROUNDING IT

List Entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE SEBASTOPOL CANNON INCLUDNG LAMP ARCH, SUPPORTING PLINTH AND IRON POSTS WITH CHAINS SURROUNDING IT

List entry Number: 1045169

Location

THE SEBASTOPOL CANNON INCLUDNG LAMP ARCH SUPPORTING PLINTH AND IRON POSTS WITH CHAINS SURROUNDING IT, CHURCHGATE, RETFORD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County: Nottinghamshire

District: Bassetlaw

District Type: District Authority

Parish:

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 05-Nov-1976

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 240901

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/10/2014

SK 7081 SE 1/101 5345

CHURCHGATE (East Side), The Sebastopol Cannon including the Lamp arch, supporting plinth and iron posts with chains surrounding it

II GV

C19 cannon on wood carriage attached to 2 stone steps and beneath iron overthrow with street lamp. Surround of chain guard and iron posts. Cannon bears inscription 'Captured Sevastopol 1855'. After the end of the Crimean War in 1856 captured ordnance was made available by the government as trophies. Retford applied, and in April 1858 a 24-pounder was delivered by rail. It was given the name ‘The Earl of Aberdeen’. The Cannon was officially unveiled on the 17 February 1859 by Gunner Cole (of the Royal Artillery). The cannon was removed during the scrap drive of the Second World War, but was rescued by Mr R.G. Bradshaw (Alderman of Retford). The cannon was reinstated after the Second World War, set on a new wooden gun carriage, being officially unveiled on the 29 March 1950 by the Mayor of Retford, Councillor T. Richmond.

Forms a visual group with Nos 1 to 33 (odd) and Nos 2 to 14 (even) Chapelgate.

Listing NGR: SK7058381285

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 70583 81285

Map

Map
© Crown Copyright and database right 2018. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2018. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.
Use of this data is subject to Terms and Conditions.

The above map is for quick reference purposes only and may not be to scale. For a copy of the full scale map, please see the attached PDF - 1045169 .pdf

The PDF will be generated from our live systems and may take a few minutes to download depending on how busy our servers are. We apologise for this delay.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Feb-2018 at 04:02:01.

End of official listing